The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

BAD GUNS?

17K views 67 replies 39 participants last post by  Harrysigafoo 
#1 ·
Have you ever owned a gun that just seemed to have problems with it? What gun and what were the issues?

#3 ·
Remington 870. I had a 12ga, 3" years ago. The thing would inconsistently jam(stove pipe) when cycled. Sent it back to Remington....they replaced some things(ejector & ectractor I think) and sent it back. Still happened. Dealt with it for a couple years and then traded it in on a BPS.

I must have gotten a lemon because everyone I know that has an 870 hasn't had a lick of problems with theirs. Regardless, it put a sour taste in my mouth and I will likely not ever buy another 870 because of it.

#5 ·
mossberg 835 ultimag. shoots way left and very high. Missed two big gobblers in the same day once and haven't used it since. Thought it was just me, but 3 others who shot it had the same issue. soured me on mossberg, have bought browning or remington since when dealing with shotguns.

#6 ·
Got a 20 gauge AYA Spanish Dbl from Sears for Christmas way back when I graduated high school. After my 4 years in the service were up the thing decided to fire both barrels upon closing the action. Took it to the local gunsmith for repair, but just didn't trust it anymore and got rid of it.

#7 ·
Sig Trailside 22 LR semi for me. Sent it back to them 3 times, got new pistols back each time and each time they had similar issues. Soft metal on the slide (peening at the slide stop), FTF, bad magazines, cracked trigger guards, etc. Sig knew they had problems with the pistols and yet kept on selling them. No more Sigs for me ever! Worst hosing I ever took on a firearm.

Muab Dib

#9 ·
I once bought a new Ruger M77 in 270 Win., and I couldn't get the thing to do 4", even after trying to work out a bunch of different loads for it..Sold it to a buddy who thought that maybe he could get the thing to shoot...He ended up selling it too....Bought a Ruger Stainless in 300 Win., and it grouped 3/4" with just about anything I cared to put through it.....Airline lost it on a trip to Montana....So I guess it's a toss of the dice with Ruger 77's.

#12 ·
I just got a Ruger 77 in .270 Winchester. Initially I tried Federal 130's and it sprayed them on the target like the others were saying. I bought some better quality ammo and it shot 1 1/2". I then found a box of handloads that
I loaded up in 2005 with H1000 and Sierra 130 grain bullets. The gun shot MOA. What I've always heard about Ruger's is that they're fussy. Next I'm going to load Nosler NBT's for it because they are the most accurate bullets I've found in other guns that I've tried them. I haven't found a gun yet that won't shoot it's best with Nosler NBT's.

To answer the OP my worst was a brand new NEF handi-Rifle in .270 Win. It would shoot 5" groups at 100 yards. I moved it along pretty quick which was a disappointment because I had ordered the rifle special since the dealer didn't have any in .270.

#15 ·
That IS amazing!

I can't get anything to cycle through mine at all. I'm lucky to get two shots in a row with it. I don't know if it's a weak magazine spring or feed lips or what. It's clean and smooth and all, but it jams after almost every shot. I don't think I've even moved the thing in at least 5 years.

#18 ·
Maybe I'll dig it out and try those. I think I did, but I honestly can't remember. I know I tried a bunch of different brands. My great uncle gave the gun to me in 99 or 2000 and I messed around with it off and on for years. I was never all that bent on making it work though either!

#19 ·
A Winchester Model 88 in .308. I never could get it to shoot. Tried free floating, glass bedding and finally gave up.

A Remington .22 pump. Can't remember the model #. It as about 35 or so years ago. It hung up constantly. I was tempted to wrap it around a tree one day I was squirrel hunting with it. I sold it for $100 and was very happy.

#20 ·
Walther PPK stainless. Fired exactly 84 rounds total during my ownership. It was returned to Interarms three times for broken trigger parts/ transfer bar, etc. I sold it (with FULL disclosure) and bought my first 1911.

#23 ·
The biggest piece of junk I have is an H&R double action revolver .22. Can't rightly remember the model number, but it is pretty much par for the course on H&R. We get lots of them in to fix at my dad's gunsmith shop. In most cases, the problem can't be fixed. In other cases, it can be fixed, but at a price about 4-5 times the value of the gun.

Mossberg 835's also seem to be one of the most problematic "out of the box" guns that we have had in the shop. About 20% of the 835's that come in the shop were bought within a week of the owner bringing them in. The one I have seems to work alright but I don't really care for it so I don't use it.

#24 ·
Browning Lever action. Lightweight and had one of the smothest action and accurate shooter. BUT, it was in 7mm-08 and it kicked like a Mule!!! I developed a really bad flinch using it. I once shot at a Doe, that was no more than 25yds from me, and flinched so bad I saw the ground in the scope when the dang thing went off....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.