The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Why would anyone anchor a boat in the most dangerous spot below a low head dam. The best thing to do around a low head dam is to stay away. Those are some luck men, it isn't unusual for people to get caught in the churn below a low head dam and get pulled under and can't get back up. They should all buy lottery tickets.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bullet Proof

Seems some feel that their bullet proof. No amount of fish is worth a life, not to mention the costs to get boat and motor running again. And I don't think anyone had life jackets on. ?????????

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Lucky to be alive. In Pa. I believe you have to wear life preservers till May 15th on any boat. But not positive about that. My only boat is a canoe so I almost always have my jacket on any way.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Lucky to be alive. In Pa. I believe you have to wear life preservers till May 15th on any boat. But not positive about that. My only boat is a canoe so I almost always have my jacket on any way.
I think it had to be on any boat less than 16' and on any canoe or kayak. Haven't checked in a while.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you're right

Mandatory PFD - FAQ

You have to wear a life preserver up until and including April 30th on boats smaller than 16' when @ anchor or under way.

Yep, "a person shall wear a Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PFD or life jacket) during the cold weather months from November 1st through April 30th while underway or at anchor on boats less than 16 feet in length or any canoe or kayak."

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Seems some feel that their bullet proof. No amount of fish is worth a life, not to mention the costs to get boat and motor running again. And I don't think anyone had life jackets on. ?????????
You have accidents and you have just plain Stupitidy.
I just don't get it.
Wonder if alchohol was involved.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
you always have some in every crowd that don't think and end up ok, glad it don't happen to often or we just don't hear of it to often

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I can not tell how they got into this situation so I will refrain form calling stupidity a factor. However, if these guys did not learn the appropriate lessons from this, then stupid is too kind of a word to describe avoiding the cause/s or wearing PFDs in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts