The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoyed this for lunch today. It was supposed to be saved for dinner but I just couldn't wait. I recently had a successful Red Tag hunt so this is the first time I've had venison since it ran out after last hunting season.

1. Sear backstrap over olive oil in a large skillet until browned. Season as needed. ( I like salt and pepper)
2. Preheat oven to 350 deg.
3. Lay strips of bacon out on an aluminum foil covered baking sheet, wide enough to cover the backstrap. Place backstrap over top of the bacon and wrap the bacon up over the meat, securing it with toothpicks to keep the strips in place. the idea is to cover the entire backstrap with the bacon.
4. Sprinkle additional seasoning over bacon if desired.
5. Insert a meat thermometer into the center of the cut and slow cook the meat until its temp reads around 140-145 for medium rare.
6. Once cooked, turn the oven to Broil and watch the bacon crisp.
7. Once bacon is crisped, remove the meat from oven and let it sit for several minutes for the juices to set up.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Man that looks great, do you have any leftovers I am in SW also and willing to drive to try that. A cold Molsom Canadian and some vegs that looks like a feast for a king.
Beautiful Job

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
i do the same thing, but i fill the loin with bbq sauce and chopped onions.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I see you made it right and didn't make it well done!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you! I always used to overcook the meat by accident, once I bought the meat thermometer and went by the temperature, that stopped happening.

another pic when they came out of the oven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts