The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Made one couple months ago.Next time I'm adding garlic cloves and sliced up onions to the sausage.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did it come out alright 410? mine was going great untill the rolling up process. i had too much bacon inside so i had to CAREFULLY patch the sausage up. then my bacon wrap somehow become a little loose wn wrapping. oh well, its still gotta be god. i used venison sausage in mine

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Great Orator said:
I think I actually heard the hardening of arteries through the internet...
i told my girlfriend, if this kills me, i want buried in a Hatfield Farms shirt.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all in all its a great meal, i just have to be a little more precise next time. this was the first time i ever smoked, so that was a challange in itself. i also need to keep the bacon wrap tighter. the only other problem, instead of using a drip pan, i put it on foil. that made the bacon on te bottom stay "soggy". otherwise, this thing rocked.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lookin good Mitch. i couldnt keep my bacon tight like you did. and my first time rolling up sausage was sure an adventure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
jun1or said:
lookin good Mitch. i couldnt keep my bacon tight like you did. and my first time rolling up sausage was sure an adventure.
I learned after the first attempt to flatten out the sausage on wax paper and roll it up.....then place it on the bacon weave to be wrapped.....

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i cant let my girlfriend know you said that. she told me thats what i should have done. lol i pressed it out on the bacon and it screwed up the weave. im sure thats what happened to most people thier first time.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Mine first attempt is going on the grill tonight. So far it looks good. I mean how can you mess up pork?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Does the sausage soak up all the bacon grease or does it drip off?

I like bacon, I like sausage too, but I don't think I would go for a bacon grease soaked sauage sponge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
varmintblaster said:

I like bacon, I like sausage too, but I don't think I would go for a bacon grease soaked sauage sponge.
The grease drips off, which brings us to another point...........make SURE you use copious amounts of aluminum foil to catch/protect whatever you are cooking on.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I made two of these a few weeks ago. I used some grilled onions, and a japeleno petter, and peper jack cheese. I cooked mine in the oven at 250-275 on a broiling pan so the bacon grease has some where to go. Wax paper deff helps to when you roll. Tooth picks also help to keep it together while cooking

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brewyak said:
I made two of these a few weeks ago. I used some grilled onions, and a japeleno petter, and peper jack cheese. I cooked mine in the oven at 250-275 on a broiling pan so the bacon grease has some where to go. Wax paper deff helps to when you roll. Tooth picks also help to keep it together while cooking
i was wondering about using a broiling pan in oven. i could just add some liquid smoke to give it that "outdoor" taste.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mitch said:
varmintblaster said:

The grease drips off, which brings us to another point...........make SURE you use copious amounts of aluminum foil to catch/protect whatever you are cooking on.
those cheap little aluminum trays work well if your using a offset smoker.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts