The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The bare ground is the area I sprayed with round up and made a pretty successful turnip/brassica plot last fall. The lawn was over seeded with oats and a clover mix in September.

Ill clean this up, turn the dirt, and shoot for a sunflower and beans mix for the summer.

Left over turnip. Im not sure if its a hold over or if a seed sprouted and grew here.

A granola protein feed block that I put out about two weeks ago. A few doe, yearlings, and a few buck fawns are hammering it nightly. I did have a pair of bucks visit it last week. One had sockets, the other had less than an inch of growth.

This is the clover I planted last fall I suspect or its naturally seeded clover from patched through out the lawn. Either way, I have pics of deer feeding on it. They dont hit it everynight but it seems they cant pass through without a bite.

This is a more leafy variety I am finding in spots.

Help me out with this one. I think its a hold over oat from the fall? Has the boat shape and the root looks similar to oat. Any ideas?

Now the final drum roll....this is the durana I overseeded three weeks ago right before a heavy rain. Thats right, three weeks and its just now popping up. I heard it was slow to grow. Hopefully it booms up in may. I have about an acre or slightly less overseeded in it. I know its in the grass and the grass will out compete it. Im not trying to create a perfect clover plot. Im just experimenting and trying it out. As long as the deer come by and munch on it, its fine with me. Thanks for looking and ill try and keep it posted with growth pic and of course pics of the World Class Whitetail bucks that will come to feed in it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I picked up 110 lbs of Potash and 110 lbs of Orthophosphate at Southern. I hope to get the grass mowed down at the end of the month then apply the fertilizer. Hopefully this will get the durana up to compete with the grass. I also bought a pint of arrest to help with the process. A closer inspection of the pasture showed that I do have a decent crop of oats coming back. I would like to keep them but i suspect the arrest will kill them off. The neighbors side is coming in good and the durana is starting to leaf off.
In may, ill start tilling the old turnip patch and preparing it for the warm season mix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts