The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backtrack™ Personal GPS Locator by Bushnell

If you have one could you comment on whether or not you like it? I am contemplating between this and a higher cost GPS Garmin unit.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Re: Backtrack™ Personal GPS Locator by Bushnell

I've heard good things about it. Small, basic but it works.

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts

I HAVE ONE,does what it's supposed to do.It will only mark 3 areas at once so it's not good to keep track of a bunch of scrapes or 12 treestands,BUT if you want a simple GPS that will get you in and out of unfamiliar territory then it's the ticket.I paid 80 bucks for mine and now they go for around 50 dollars or so.I actually thought about selling mine,but the more I thought about it I decided to keep it.I fish alone and I like to fish mountain streams and some I'm not real familiar with so it will be used more for fishing than it was in hunting season.Let us know what you decide to do.If u want simple,I reccomend it.
JIM

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

thanks for the feedback guys I will let you know what I decide. Been reading and watching a lot of the Benoit stuff and having the itch to do more tracking and less stand hunting without spending the night in the woods. The only upside to me with the more expensive models is the ability to find specific topo features before heading out and having the device get you there vs. using the old school method of a paper topo map. Based on cost, I think this simpler device is what I need.

·
Registered
7,133 Posts

Glad I found this post, I to am thinking of picking one up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ordered the Bushnell today for $48 at walmart.com
thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
10,309 Posts

Rocco said:
Ordered the Bushnell today for $48 at walmart.com
thanks again for the feedback
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
397 Posts

I've had one for over two years. Works great as a simple tool to give the direction and distance back to the car. Like that it uses a standard battery size and the original ones I put into it are still working. Great backup to a compass. Acquistion time and accuracy appear as good as my Garmin Etrex H. The only thing I don't care for is that the back of the case is difficult to remove for battery installation / replacement. Not sure if this has been changed on the newer models?

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts

The only thing I don't care for is that the back of the case is difficult to remove for battery installation / replacement. Not sure if this has been changed on the newer models?

I bought mine right before last archery season and the back is still a real booger to get off.I found that a flat/straight screwdriver held against the little nub will open it pretty easy,you just have to be careful you don't gouge the cover plate.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

i have had one a couple years. same thing hard to open for batt. the garmin i have is the 100.00 etrax. i've found that it's better to keep it simple. i like the back track dose good job...later

·
Registered
7,133 Posts

What is the battery life like?

Does the unit display how much battery is left?

Does it warn you in anyway before it is about to die?

If it dies, will it retain its way point when new batteries are installed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25,117 Posts

1. kinda of boring life they just sit in their little slots
2. yes
3. I don't think so
4. I don't know but I'll take the batteries out and find
out. There are three points capable of being stored.

OK just turned the unit on got my three waypoints locked then shut the unit off. removed the cover and took batteries out put them back in replaced cover and turned unit back on all three waypoints were still in memory.

Good questions! good to know beforehand!!

battery life from website/ Battery Life Over 130 uses /20+ hours

·
Registered
7,133 Posts

Thanks bud! So note to self - take extra batteries it will retain way points.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts