The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about this kennel? Just curious as I may be interested in an EP pup in the future (next couple years - I have a 16 month old GSP now so not looking for anything like next week) and it would be convenient for me (10 mins from my house) to get one from there, see parents run, etc. What bloodlines do they have? What trialing do they do - field, coverdog, etc.

I have some other breeders in the NE in mind as well, but will require some travel to watch their dogs, etc.

Any other EP breeders in PA (or tri-state area) I should potentially be considering?

Currently have a GSP I love, she is part FT breeding and a good hunter for her age, but next dog I'll be looking for maybe a little quicker dog, a little more range, but can still handle my primary quarry - grouse and woodcock.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would definately recommend On-Point Outfitters in Confluence,PA. Vince has some great english pointers he is on this site as well and goes by Pointer. He has a great breading program and he also has a great training program and if you buy a pup from him he will work with you and the dog for training! His web site is www.onpointoutfitters.com

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I would recommend checking out Backrun Kennel. I know the owner and trial against him. Some very fancy birds dogs!

I can also personally vouch for Vince at on point, he breeds really nice dogs.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There are grouse trials every weekend through March. This coming weekend Nittany VAlley runs their trial at the Barrens(SGL 176) at State College. Next weekend West branch will be on the same grounds. After that the action moves to Marienville. The best advice that I can think of, if you are looking for a pointer for a grouse dog, is to attend a few of the grouse trials and talk to people. Let it be known that you are looking for a dog. By the end of the weekend you will have lots of advice and some new friends.
Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys... all good... and still listening for more!

I may try to make it to one of these trials at the barrens, i can be there in 2 hours flat. Hunted there one last fall.

I like to hit up lion country supply too while out that way...

·
Registered
778 Posts
redrockin7 is you move to pointers I might never be able to speak to you again! If you want something quicker and more range I have just what you need. The only question is....can you handle her?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, you know I love that dog and if you were truly ever going to get rid of her I'd do whatever I could to try to work something out. The only problem is would cause me is both my (hunting) dogs would then be about the same age - so 8-10 years down the road I would be in a position to need a 4th dog (assuming the non-hunter is still alive) b/c these two girls would be slowing down/at retirement... I can stretch the wife to 3, I'm pretty sure, but 4 might be a real stretch. But who knows what can happen in 10 years. Ha-ha.

The other option is you breed yours in a year or two, to another high powered dog, and I get a pup.

Still not sure I've ever seen a GSP who is truly EP equivalent in terms of speed or range, but seen some close, and love how yours works. Snappy, fast, and hits cover hard.

It will be interesting to see what happens after Bristol's 2nd year of training - her first "real" year really. She was very much a pup last year and through this first hunting season, little to no pressure, no real conseuquences for acting like a pup. She learned here, heel, and to find birds and try to hold them until I got there. That's a far cry from the structured training required to get her steady to shot/fall, forced retrieves, and running with other dogs and backing when they beat her to a bird. I think this structured training this year could really change her - plus just getting a little older. I've seen her run big (200+yards in thick grouse woods) and fast, it's just not the norm for her at this point.

·
Registered
625 Posts
redrockin,,,,Just got the word that the Nittany trial this weekend is cancelled due to conditions on the grounds. Just an fyi incase you were going to make the trip. West Branch the next wweekend is still on.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
thwho said:
I would recommend checking out Backrun Kennel. I know the owner and trial against him. Some very fancy birds dogs!

Dave,

Does backrun have a lot of Van Mac in his kennel.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Tcaddis said:
thwho said:

Dave,

Does backrun have a lot of Van Mac in his kennel.
I don't really know much about whats behind his dogs, I love pointers but don't really pay as much attention to their pedigrees as setters. I know he competes his dogs in both horseback and walking and they do well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There is also Indian Creek Kennel in Northern NJ, about a 40 min. ride from the Delaware water gap. I've hunted there and the owner, Gary, is very involved in EP breeding and training.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts