The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I hunted with them back in 98 as my highschool graduation/Eagle Scout present from my parents. I went on the backcounty muzzleloader hunt in the weminuche wilderness. My dad planned this hunt out for about two years as it took some preference points to draw that tag. When we booked I was supposed to be guided by the outfitter himself but the summer before my hunt he ended up having knee surgery and could not go on the hunt. There were 3 hunters on the hunt, 2 brothers were with one guide and I had the other. Neither of the guides knew much about elk hunting or calling. Most days we didn't even leave camp until 830-900 because they couldn't catch the horses (they would run off every night) One morning while we were riding out to hunt we jumped an elk in the timber and I was able to get off my horse and take a running shot at it, I missed and that was the only bull I saw on the trip. They had us all hunting together (stupid) and the only bull they did call in was missed by one of the other guys. Finally towards the end of the week long hunt one of the two brothers went hunting on his own and killed a 4x4 bull. The last morning of the hunt they gave me the option of helping pack out his elk or hunting alone, I went on my own and ended up spotting and stalking a 4x3 mule deer. If you couldn't guess I was not thrilled with my experience there even though I did have a successful hunt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. I am planning a hunt with this outfitter but will not be using a guide. We will be hunting private land, with excellent public land access and mostly a do it yourself hunt but we'll be staying in a remote cabin instead of a wall tent. Also no horses this time around as we're taking my 86 yr old father-in-law along. It isn't my first hunting trip to Colorado. You mentioned it was 15 years ago that you hunted with them. I believe things are a little different today. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. I think you should have complained to the "boss" immediately about the late starts and the horse issues. In the end you wised up, did things your way and you guys were still successful in spite of the substitute guides. That is often what it takes to overcome a bad situation.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
We did complain to the boss, David. But by the time we saw him our hunt was over. I don't think there was much he could have done at that point, but I will say it was a pretty long tense ride back from the trailhead to his lodge. I probably didn't complain as much as I should have but it was my first time out west and I didn't know what to expect.

Good luck on your hunt with them, I hope you are successful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts