The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Not sure what you are looking to spend on a target but there are many choices out there. I would think a larger target might be the safest being you are in a subdivision. I just bought a Rinehart 18-1 and they are a fairly small target but seem to work good. If the "bulls-eye deadstop" target is a bag target like I am thinking I would probably suggest that if you are decided on either that or the 3D deer target. The Block targets are supposed to be good also. Might have to worry about a 3D deer target getting stolen and with a bag or a block you can easily carry it back to the house.

· Super Moderator
12,200 Posts
Once when I lived and shot back yard archery in an urban setting. I obtained some heavy duty roofing insulation from a construction site with permission from the contractor who was putting it in the dumpster.

It was 4X8 sheets I taped two together for a very large target and used mister ugh stickers for the bull eyes when target shooting and tuning. I used burlap deer targets to simulate hunting.

I used additional 4X8 sheets as sides and a top...because I had that many.

My friends and I shot this target for two years and rotated the top and sides for the next target.

It held up well in the weather.

I also shot broadheads through it and screwed them off on the backside so I did not have to pull them back through the target...ruin the removable blades and increase the size of the whole in the insulation.

One needs a good back stop behind the target in addition to the insulation and one must be certain the insulation is sufficient to stop the arrows.

I have several targets in my now rural setting and I use a Rinehart's 18-1 target to check my broad heads when I travel, but I use the heavy insulation in my back yards to shoot my broad heads the rest of the year.

· Registered
8,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I went to the local outdoors store and was shocked at the price of back stops. Anywhere from $99 to $120 and higher. I decided to just use the old Dead Stop I had in the trunk of my car and hang it from a sheet of half inch plywood.

· Registered
46 Posts
Your development lets you shoot in your backyard?!! Wow you are one lucky fella. Mine wont, It says in our HOA rules that no firearms or devices that shoot a projectile are permitted to be to be discharged on the premisis. I wanted to shoot my crossbow in my backyard and caught all kinds of greif. Stupid HOA's

· Registered
522 Posts
i shoot down my driveway into my garage couple of straw bails and a couple old blankets with home made cardboard cutouts of different game never had a problem shooting newer fast bows. (one word from expeience dont let someone shoot that is new to bows or your kids power wheel get a battery shot and leak all the acid out ruining the truck)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.