The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found close to 100 tonight and a bonus She came within 20 feet of me, I laid flat on the ground.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Great! I saute them in butter and garlic- liberal with butter, garlic to your taste. When cooled, place in ziplock, and get all air out of the bag. They stay fresh tasting all year

·
Registered
95 Posts
suskyducker said:
Can I freeze them???? Morels that is
Yes
I clean them cut in half lengthwise coat with flour, then dip in egg, then coat with cracker crumbs and whatever spices you want to use. Lay flat on a cookie sheet stick in the freezer until frozen. Then you can put in a zip loc
and just get out what you want to use and fry them up

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
suskyducker said:
Can I freeze them???? Morels that is
Or you could dehydrate them and they would last for years and lose little to no flavor when you rehydrate them and you can also use them in many different dishes......fried and froze is just plain awful tasting I don't care how you do it or who done it.

·
20,123 Posts
I tend to agree. I froze them last year and cook some in the fall and they weren't very good to me the second time around. Tossed all the rest in the trash.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I tried drying them whole this year.....I think they look much better that way.

Morels are fun and exciting to hunt and pick....it's up to each his/her's own way to prepare and store but I think these are pretty darn cute and I know they will be delicious...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
What do you do, just dehydrate them and put them in the jar and screw the lid on?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
huntsmenbob said:
What do you do, just dehydrate them and put them in the jar and screw the lid on?
That's how I do mine,I do have a vacumn packer that will seal lids on canning jars but never felt a need to use it. You do want to use glass jars, plastic breaths and will let air inside.
Last for years, I make a Morel Alfredo with dried morels years later and it's just awesome how rich the Morels hold-up in a white cream sauce.
Don't use salt "if you must" soak your morels.
I just do a quick soak/rinse, trim the stem and, lay on paper towels in front of a fan (not necessary)to get a head start on drying before they get placed in my multi-tray dehydrater (walmart for under 30 bucks) which does have a warming element, or you can just leave them in front of the fan, both work equally well. Dry and check them till they have the crispness of a potato chip, let cool if necessary put in jars tighten the lid, add the date and your done. Nice to have a jar on display on your counter top at all times, visitors and loose lips will sinks ships but also get ya a few more spots to hunt.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Thanks for the info. Heading out right now. Wish us luck!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just returned home from a morning hunt found 92 blacks, think I'm going back this evening and search for more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts