The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on taking the plunge into the back tension world, but I'm curious as to how many of you hunt with one. I tried it many years ago and found myself forcing it to go off and then missing the target. So I went back to my caliper release. But now target panic is creeping back in again and I want to go back to the tension release. So, with that in mind, anybody make any recommendations???

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use a four finger tru-ball with a thumb release for hunting. I use a tru-ball pure back tension for 3-D. It makes the transistion to hunging easier. I snap it to my loop and let it hang until it's time to draw, easy system.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I use a Chocolate Lite for 3D in a back tension technique, the I use the same release for hunting, but I don't worry about back tension as much there- I just squeeze my thumb/fist as the shot presents itself. I found it's too hard coordinate the use of pure back tension and having the deer in a shootable position in a hunting situation. I went with the same release in both because I shoot 3D's 8 months out of the year, it made no sense to change anchor points for 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I use mine all year round, as do some of my friends. I shoot 3-D, spots & hunt with mine. It hasn't caused me to miss any shot oppertunities while hunting. I shoot my best with it & we owe it to the game we hunt to give them our best shots.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased a Scott Longhorn. I tried a few others but this one felt best. I didn't like the "safety" feature some of the others had. It really made me flinch. The thing I like about this Scott is that there is a "click", which can be adjusted, that you hear just before it unloads. I shot it last night in the basement and I really like it. The real test will be this Sunday when I shoot my first 3D event.

Thanks for the help everybody.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
go with a stan. I cut mine down to two fingers and love it. three finger is okay for hunting with gloves

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Target panic can turn the most expensive bow into a piece of junk.
Good luck to you.

My effort was to practice, and to get away from the modern world and the cell phone that's going to ring in two seconds.

Pure old relaxation can cure a lot of trouble, no matter how you shoot. If I wasn't more relaxed after shooting, than when I started. I hadn't done any archery practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts