The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to see if they changed the "backtag display" regulations this year, and found something towards the end of the new Hunting/Trapping Digest. It says the license must be visibly displayed on an outer garment.

Did the regs finally get changed so they do not have to be displayed on the back? I just wanted to be sure and did not see any other references to backtags in the digest.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The bill to remove the requirement hasn't moved yet. When in doubt, wear the license.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
does the new wording mean you just have to display anywhere? its a pain to display on the back during later archery when temps change during the evening and i put my jacket on.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Anywhere on your clothing.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
that is fine with me. up untill now, i was an outlaw, cuz my licenseas always hanging on my belt loop. its a pan during overlaps when you have wear orange while moving, and then when cooler weather hits. glad its gotten changed a little bit.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i always had it on my back....if i was fall archery hunting it was on my light camo flannel shirt, if i had to wear an orange vest while moving it went over my lic....if it was on my cold weather camo hunting coat, it was under my orange vest also....but it was on my back
..........bob

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I got a fishing license holder for the new style tags, this past summer it worked great to pin on my FO hat while hunting whistle pigs, plan to do the same this year since the farmers are getting the hay off of our shooting spots.

I pinned them on the front of my hunting coat for going through the thick stuff last fall.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
That will be cool that you can put it anywere. I will prob put mine in fishing lic holder and stick it on my hat.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking to see if they changed the "backtag display" regulations this year, and found something towards the end of the new Hunting/Trapping Digest. It says the license must be visibly displayed on an outer garment.

Did the regs finally get changed so they do not have to be displayed on the back? I just wanted to be sure and did not see any other references to backtags in the digest.
I know you have to display it, just wanted to know if it had to be on back or just visible on outer clothing.
Thanks for the input.

Just wanted to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Even last year you didn't have to have it on your back. I think that wording(on your back) was something the PGC could remove, but the display part is law that can only be changed by the legislature.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Mine will stay on my back as always. I never could see the problems others have had with this location. I still use the same license holder as well, because folded a certain way the license still fits the larger hunting license holders too. Those fishing license holders have too wimpy of a safety pin. I'd be leery of using one of them, especially if you brush bust as your hunting methods. Any location then is liable to see it get torn off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I usually wear a Camelback pack throughout the season. So it stays on the hand loop at the top. Switched to the FL holder last year too, but it will always be on my back.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
I'm a belt looper too...later
call me an outlaw if u want,but i call it common sense,

in my case,my liscense stays in my blind bag!!

ive argued this before and stand by my belief the law is/was archaic and pointless!
the old liscense was a water attractant,i am out in the rain a lot as i hunt waterfowl,by december the latest of the season my liscense was a curled,seperated,ink run, unreadable mess!!
the first two years i started hunting in this state, i abided by that law and wore it on my back!
I get checked 2-4 times a season and never had an issue with the back thing but would catch all heck from the wco's for my liscense being unreadable cause it seperated and the ink ran!
so i decided to have the liscense last and put it where it stays dry!
i allways see em coming and have it ready for them before they get there!
bout time the law gets a revamp,the liscense also!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I put mine in a sealed fishing license holder and then in my regular backtag holder. Keeps it dry and large enough so that I'm aware of it's presence.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I just put mine in a single 'old' style hunting license holder. I can put both my regular license and my doe license in the same holder that way. One on the left and one on the right but they're sideways....not that that matters. If I remember from last year I had to trim a 1/16" or so(not affecting anything like bar code or wording or anything) to get a good fit that way. Other holders may work fine without trimming. I'd just as soon put it in my wallet or pocket though. Maybe some day!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
wait til the license gets wet, then someone puts it in the sun..the ink fades to the point where you cannot read it.. i too keep my license in my bag...i lay on my back in a blind, your not gonna see it, and a wco is already gonna have to come out and check now since the license got smaller..in the end, just buy the license, be a legal hunter, and dont give the WCO any shart, in the end he will be right..lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts