The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
27,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can somebody that knows Baseball history comment on those bats? They look like they made a trip to the blacksmith and had a metal band put on the business end.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Can somebody that knows Baseball history comment on those bats? They look like they made a trip to the blacksmith and had a metal band put on the business end.
I googled it and it is just paint. It's referred to as a "ring bat". They are on different locations on the bat. Some are in the middle. It didn't reference the value of the bats. They are from the 1800's.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
the bats were probably their version of regulated bats back then ,probably could not use them today. Interesting and neat picture . thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Not quite as old as the OP, but historic nonetheless....the 1947 Avco (Lycoming Engines) team. Back then all the Williamsport area factories (Bethlehem Steel, Darling valve, & c.) had teams. An industrial league of sorts. And they took their ball pretty serious.

Most of those men are only a couple of years removed from WWII service. The ones who didn't serve overseas were making the engines that powered many of the planes that filled the skies over Europe and the Pacific.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not quite as old as the OP, but historic nonetheless....the 1947 Avco (Lycoming Engines) team. Back then all the Williamsport area factories (Bethlehem Steel, Darling valve, & c.) had teams. An industrial league of sorts. And they took their ball pretty serious.

Most of those men are only a couple of years removed from WWII service. The ones who didn't serve overseas were making the engines that powered many of the planes that filled the skies over Europe and the Pacific.
Here's and old one from Williamspirt. Dedication day for the Williamsport airport July 22, 1929. The Pride of Susquehanna was the sister ship of Charles Lindberg's the Spirt of St. Louis.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Lycoming engines originally made bicycles and sewing machines under the name Demorest Manufacturing, starting around 1890. In the early 1900s Auburn purchased the company and started producing engines for Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg automobiles at the plant. Jay Lenno's Duesenberg has a Lycoming engine under the hood. They started making aviation engines in 1929, and today make mostly helicopter engines at the Williamsport plant.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Very cool photo, thanks for posting it. I love that area and visit it when ever I'm able. One of my childhood friends and fishing buddy taught at Paul Smith college up there for 36 years and lives at Clear Lake.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bet they kept score!!! I bet they played to win!!!! I bet none of them ever heard of a participation trophy. Probably a fist fight or 2 and then back to playing ball!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts