The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back Friday evening w/ my cousin Earl and two friends for a great week of chasing whitetails w/ Ken Fernburg and TripleB Outfitters. I saw shooters ( over 125 inches) each day, this big boy came in on Tuesday at 2:00pm. Yes, we actually hunted everyday ,all day long, glad I did. Had a big 6pt w/ a 20inch spread about 100 yards, I grunted and he turned, I snort wheezed at him and he came running. He got about 40 yards away and stopped. He kept looking behind me, thats when I heard this buck walking. The big 6pt laid down right in the logging road, never saw anything like it, guess it was a type of submissive behavior. Anyway, I slowly turned to see the 11pt about 20 yards away, I drew back and released. My arrow took out the heart and part of the lungs, I saw him crash over the hill. I was pumped, my first P&Y buck scored 143 7/8 (green) has 5 7/8 inch bases and dressed out at 205. Everybody saw shooters and my cousin Earl got one that scored about 135. The other two also saw plenty of buck, one buck was seen that would've easily hit 220!! Several in the 150-160 range were seen also. He does a great job and definitely puts you on the deer, thanks Ken and Eric for a great time.
http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/steelted/?action=view&current=PB100262.jpg

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Here you go awesome buck man

·
Registered
595 Posts
Frozendeek:

Great buck! No doubt it paid off staying out all day.

I have a client out there right now. His hunt started Friday afternoon - you were probably gone when he showed up. He saw 10 bucks Friday evening, one of which was in the 150's but too far for a shot. Buck sightings have slowed down the past two days for him most likely due to the warmer weather. I'm sure some bucks are also locked down with hot does right now.

Thanks for sharing the pic of your buck - a lot of mass on that 'ole boy. Did you age him? Just wondering if he was going the other way?

Larry

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4 1/2 yrs old is our best estimate. Had some tine marks in the back of his neck from fighting.

The one guy actually saw a buck breed a doe, my other buddy saw a fight between a 130 and 110, said it was pretty neat.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He field dressed at 205, thinking he was around 240-245 live weight.. believe me, he weighed all of that, took three of us to drag him up the hill. We all had a wonderful time in camp. I can't wait to get back out there in 2010.

·
Registered
838 Posts
checked out the site. With all do respect to their operation, a $10 fine if the buck scores 126 to 130 per inch? No thank you, Ill take my expanding broadheads and hunt elsewhere.

On a brighter note great buck and Im glad they were rutting for you, for me in Ohio, not too good last week!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I passed up several 125's until this guy showed. I know between the four of us we saw probably 20+ shooters over 130, biggest being a mammoth that would've been 220+. I agree w/ Ken and his 130 minimum, gives us PA guys something to actually shoot at. I will be the first to admit it is really tough to pass on 125s but look at the outcome. That is the difference between a 3 and 4 year old buck. I can't wait til next year again... Good luck....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
keep on checking his website, I know some pics of bucks taken this year will be posted soon. Wait to you guys see some of these brutes, maybe someday we will see a few of these in PA....
Good luck the rest of the season guys...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts