The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Back From my ocellated hunt in Mexico.

3K views 42 replies 35 participants last post by  6-DASHER 
#1 ·
Had a phenomenol time down in Campeche this week past. I shared camp with my girlfriend and 3 other hunters. One bowhunter and two shotgun hunters- of which, one was a 9yr old kid.

We arrived into camp Monday afternoon and I shot my bow to make sure it made the trip well and everything was dead on. We headed out around 2:30pm for the first hunt and I had a bird come in behind me around 15 yards but the jungle was so thick we couldn't see it, just heard it clucking around. At 6pm, we heard it fly up to the roost for the night. The field was tore up with tracks, dust bowls, scat and feathers, so we moved down along the edge some and made a new jungle blind for the next morning.

Tuesday morning we made it to the blind before daylight. At first light I hit some points with the rangefinder to get my barrings for distance and settled in for the wait. Around 6:30 the woods exploded behind us with the sound of wing beats as 80-100 turkey began flying down all around us and over top of us out into the field. They landed about 70yds out. A little while later, a group of 5 toms came around the edge of the field from behind us and was within 23 yards. I burried my pin on the biggest bird in the group and sent my arrow on its way. The turkey immediately went down and lied there with his head up as the other toms just stood there looking at him. We waited for the other birds to clear the field and went out to get my hands on my "World Slam". He weighed in at 10 Pounds with 1 7/16" spurs. Later in the week, we went to the Mayan Ruins of Edzna and toured the site. It was 102⁰ in the shade.

Once we made it back into Merida, us hunters with our new friendships toured the city for some shopping, sightseeing and had a farewell dinner together.

My girlfriend is composing a blog detailing our entire trip in great detail. Once its done, I'll post a link to it.
Plant community Plant People in nature Botany Tree

Plant Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Reptile Lizard

Sky Shorts Sleeve Bermuda shorts Travel

Sky Building Flag Travel Wonders of the world

Plant Smile People in nature Tree Sky

Sky Hunting Beard Gesture Tree

Leaf Beak Organism Bird Grass

Camouflage Military camouflage Military uniform Marines Military person

Leaf Plant Organism Font Book

See less See more
#32 ·
Had a phenomenol time down in Campeche this week past. I shared camp with my girlfriend and 3 other hunters. One bowhunter and two shotgun hunters- of which, one was a 9yr old kid.

We arrived into camp Monday afternoon and I shot my bow to make sure it made the trip well and everything was dead on. We headed out around 2:30pm for the first hunt and I had a bird come in behind me around 15 yards but the jungle was so thick we couldn't see it, just heard it clucking around. At 6pm, we heard it fly up to the roost for the night. The field was tore up with tracks, dust bowls, scat and feathers, so we moved down along the edge some and made a new jungle blind for the next morning.

Tuesday morning we made it to the blind before daylight. At first light I hit some points with the rangefinder to get my barrings for distance and settled in for the wait. Around 6:30 the woods exploded behind us with the sound of wing beats as 80-100 turkey began flying down all around us and over top of us out into the field. They landed about 70yds out. A little while later, a group of 5 toms came around the edge of the field from behind us and was within 23 yards. I burried my pin on the biggest bird in the group and sent my arrow on its way. The turkey immediately went down and lied there with his head up as the other toms just stood there looking at him. We waited for the other birds to clear the field and went out to get my hands on my "World Slam". He weighed in at 10 Pounds with 1 7/16" spurs. Later in the week, we went to the Mayan Ruins of Edzna and toured the site. It was 102⁰ in the shade.

Once we made it back into Merida, us hunters with our new friendships toured the city for some shopping, sightseeing and had a farewell dinner together.

My girlfriend is composing a blog detailing our entire trip in great detail. Once its done, I'll post a link to it.
View attachment 208902
View attachment 208900
View attachment 208903
View attachment 208901
View attachment 208899
View attachment 208897
View attachment 208898
View attachment 208895
View attachment 208896
Huge Spers, congratulations!!!!

#40 ·
Mexico is a beautiful country. It gets a lot of negative media coverage, but it's really no different than any major US City, just have to use common sense and don't put yourself in sketchy situations.

The Cartel gets all the blame, but they're really not the ones doing the violence to American tourists and such around the border. Its your basic idiot criminal looking for an easy target. This last case where those 5 Americans were kidnapped and 2 were killed, it was the Cartel who captured and turned those responsible in to Mexican authorities. The Cartel doesn't want the police or Mexican National Guard in their areas, so that's why they don't do petty stuff to tourists. They make billions running drugs, guns and humans- a few Americans ain't worth their time for anything. I'm surprised they didn't kill the guys responsible for harming the Americans. Cartel usually just kills those who bring police attention to their areas of operation.

On the way back to Merida, we got stopped and checked by the Mexican National Guard. They do check points looking for drugs, guns and such. It appears they're trying, but how effective or how much of a formality it is, I don't know.

Sky Military camouflage Cargo pants Cloud Camouflage

Reactions: bohunr
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.