The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions for backcountry lakes in upstate New York or New England with populations of smallmouths and pike? Would like to take kayaks so not too far off the grid would be preferred. Just trying to avoid crowds

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I can recommend remote wilderness lakes and ponds but I'm not sure if there are smallmouths or pike in them. I can try to find out for you but need more info first.
What do you mean by off the grid? No carries/portages I presume?
I found in order to avoid the crowds there is usually a carry involved, or by going in "the off season".
Are you camping.....kayak camping, car camping, campgrounds???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Older coworker will be going with. Would like to keep portaging to a minimum. A campground near a lake would be preferred. Prob go late may or early june

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm not sure of any lakes/ponds with a campground that your avoid the crowds. Plus there with probably be motorboat traffic, not always a good for kayakers.

I know of some lakes that have free car camping spots on the water. These spots are spread out, usually with just a fire ring and picnic table. Not sure about the fish and there will be motor boats.

I'll ask around and see what I can find.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Any info is appreciated. Looks like there is no shortage of lakes. Having never been there not sure what to expect or where to start. Definetly want to chase some smallies. Never caught a pike, that would just be a bonus but not required.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I'd look near the st. Regis lakes in the adirondacks. A few different lakes to pick from. A good quiet lake with a combo of pike and smallmouth doesn't come to mind at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts