The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
havent seen any yet and hope i dont see any around the house. if they would stay in the field that would be OK with me. they seem to like to come under my shed and deck and hang out. i have to get after them with the 22 to thin them out. killed around 10 last year just in the yard.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
havent seen any yet and hope i dont see any around the house. if they would stay in the field that would be OK with me. they seem to like to come under my shed and deck and hang out. i have to get after them with the 22 to thin them out. killed around 10 last year just in the yard.
same here! where the heck do they come from? I keep them cleaned out in my yard and everyone else's close by and the next spring/summer we are over run with them.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
the worst part is there is a field across the lane above the house with all the grass they can eat and they still want to come down in the yard. as long as they keep coming they will keep getting knocked off.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m 48. Never in my life have I had groundhog issues around the house or sheds. Have always had a dog also.
Did come home once after camping for a week and find one in the back yard that looked like it was planning to take up residence under a shed. Seen some minor digging and that’s where it ran to each time I seen it. Didn’t worry though because it was in very close proximity to where the dog got let out to do her business. It was funny watching the groundhog watch the dog with a look of disappointment. Within a week the groundhog moved on.:grin:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I trapped 5 in my yard 2 years ago, none last year, but i see the grass dug up this spring....hoping theyre not moving back in...they like to live under my shed and cruise under my pool deck. I have a dog too but the groundhogs dont seem to care.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
A farm my brother hunts on paid a outfit to gas groundhogs in a big field in the spring a couple years ago. Brother shot 9 hogs on his first visit in the middle of the summer.

·
Super Moderator
24,039 Posts
I saw a little groundhog dead along the road the other day

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah.....but it takes all the fun outta it. Sometimes I use my .223, sometimes my .17 Hornet, sometimes a 22 mag......all good against the little rodent.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
..this was from last year.
..while taking pic through scope of 2 with one shot..I saw 2 more poking their heads up..
2 with 1 shot-Right of vertical 8....
..waited for the 2 to the left of vertical 8/left horizontal 8 to line up....they did but not good enough to get them both..but eventually got 5 from that mound..

..you can click on pic to enlarge...

Attachments

·
Registered
16,412 Posts
i had this published years ago in the PA sportsman cook book.

WOODCHUCK CHUNKS

2 or 3 nice size woodchucks (groundhogs)
Salt and pepper (to taste) Garlic powder (to taste)
Spices (whatever you like) Meat tenderizer, Italian flavored bread crumbs
3 eggs, milk, and of course some of your favorite oil for frying

Clean and skin the woodchuck, remove all the meat from the bones. Cut meat into bite size chunks taking care to remove all the fat and glands (tiny round brown bumps)
Sprinkle chunks with meat tenderizer. Mix oil and spices into a bowl, stir well making sure everything is mixed together, add chunks, salt and pepper and garlic powder. Place lid on bowl and shake well to ensure a fine mixture of ingredients. Place bowl in refrigerator 1 to 3 hours or until chilled.
Pour bread crumbs onto a plate or large bowl, mix eggs and milk in a separate bowl and place next to bread crumbs. Remove the woodchuck chunks from the oil and spice mixture, dip them into the egg mixture and then place them into the bread crumbs and coat evenly with the bread crumbs.
Pour your favorite oil ( I like peanut oil) into a frying pan or deep fryer, heat to no more than 350 degrees, when the oil is hot enough add the woodchuck chunks and cook until a golden brown or approximately 5 to 10 minutes to ensure they are cooked all the way through.
When the woodchuck chunks are done, remove them from the oil and place on a plate with paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
Great for parties, just don’t tell your friends its woodchuck :)
Makes approximately 4 servings

1 - 19 of 19 Posts