The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bowhunting every morning, and visiting my local check station in the evenings. I think it's time for PA to once again put some form of restriction on shooting cubs. If we can have antler restrictions surely someone smarter than me can come up with a way to restrict the shooting of cubs.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I agree. I don't hunt bears but I am lucky enough to see them regularly and I can certainly tell a cub when I see one.

Reactions: John Schweigart

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree , I know of 2 guys who shot what I would consider cubs and one of them said that it is difficult to tell the size of the animal at a distance. I'm not sure about a bear but I can tell a yearling doe at a distance , so why shoot if you cant tell the difference.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I have no problem with someone shooting anything legal. I personally have never shot a bear or ever seen a bear during bear season. This was my 20th year chasing them in PA. I still don’t think I would be able to pull the trigger on this years cub. But any legal game animal should be considered a trophy. On a side note I saw at coudersport someone checked in a 22lb Bear..... that’s gotta be a little rough shooting a bear smaller then a turkey but to each their own and I would congratulate the hunter if I ever met him.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I don't think bear hunters are killing bear cubs by mistake. I think they're killing bear cubs because they're hunting bears.
Well yeah, I didn't mean to say that they were doing it by mistake. I dont think they are. But like somebody already said some guys say they cant tell if its a cub. I'm saying I think they can. I'm not even saying guys should not shoot bear cubs now. If they want to shoot a cub that is legal and their decision to make. What I'm saying is the PAGC should restrict shooting cubs again like they did many years back. I also don't figure that the PAGC will ever do that.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Is this a conservation concern, or an opinion that shooting young animals is wrong? Just curious.

Huh.......that's a hard question. No, not hard, uncomfortable. I wish I could say that for me its a conservation thing. But I'd be lying its not. I like bears, I like to watch them and like having them around and I just hate to see the little ones shot. And I'll be the first one to admit that is not a consideration in controlling bear numbers so my softy point of view is flawed. Ah well, nobody's perfect.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I've been bowhunting every morning, and visiting my local check station in the evenings. I think it's time for PA to once again put some form of restriction on shooting cubs. If we can have antler restrictions surely someone smarter than me can come up with a way to restrict the shooting of cubs.
I agree with you on this, and would like to see it happen ,I saw a photo on facebook of a small sow and 2 cubs on a meat pole, but the Game Commission allows it.

I remember when the Game Rule book said "you could not shoot a bear with milk teeth", there is no way to tell what teeth are in a bear till you open its mouth, so there were cubs left in the woods to rot, so that rule went out the window

So how would they get people to go by a no cub harvest? a lot harder then the antler restriction.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
johnny.v I believe you are referring to fawns of the years, yearlings are deer between 1 and two years old

Reactions: triggercreep

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you have never been at a check station where a cub that weighed a hundred lbs or more came in and the hunters had to relinquish it and pay a restitution and the next bear in the door was an adult sow that weighed less than the cub you might have a different view of protecting cub bears. Add to that many if not most hunters have never seen a bear in the wild and if a cub is alone there is nothing to gauge size by. We sure are not suffering with less bears since cubs became legal. The solution is if you do not want to shoot a cub don't shoot small bears. In the grand scheme of things, the number of cubs killed is really not large enough to matter.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
What makes bear that is less than a year old and different then the countless button bucks and doe fawns from this spring that will be shot this year? Or the countless turkey “poults” killed this fall. Pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese, etc. that were born this spring that will be killed? Just because they’re cute and furry to some doesn’t mean they should have special restrictions put on them. If wildlife was managed every time someone got their feelings hurt, things would be a mess. There’s no reason from a management standpoint, or a biological standpoint to restrict the harvest of them. If someone chooses to kill a smaller bear, I’ll be the first person to congratulate them. It’s a legal harvest, and their decision.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
if they put restrictions on not shooting cubs you may run into the issue we have now where hunters shoot an illegal buck by mistake and leave it lay instead of paying the fine. Me personally i would not shoot a cub but thats me but will not look down on others who do as long as its legal. I never shot a bear in PA yet but had a chance the other year on a yearling cub. The mother and the other cub were shot that morning. I let him pass.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
I don't bear hunt in Pa but I would oppose making it illegal to shoot a "cub" for a variety of reasons. It is difficult to enforce. Some cubs are bigger than some adults. Most hunters have never shot a bear and it is very hard to distinguish many cubs from a young adult. Some small bears that are shot, would be left to lay and rot for fear of receiving a violation. We shoot other animals that are less than a year old while hunting. There is no biological reason to restrict the harvest of them. Making it illegal to harvest a cub feeds into the non hunting social stigma that hunters are bad people for shooting cubs. Bear cubs are twice as old as fawn deer which are shot by the thousands in the fall.

Just a few reasons off the top of my head.

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I don't think it's difficult to distinguish a cub from an adult in most cases.I also think that bears need to be managed and killing cubs is part of that management.I won't be the guy pulling into a check station with a cub in the back of my truck but wouldn't criticize the next guy for shooting one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you don't want to see a dead cub don't go watch the weigh ins. If u don't want to see or read about it don't go to the bear forum. If it was me out there and have never killed a bear I would shoot one but I have killed 3 bears 2 with a gun and one with a bow. Bears are the hardest animal out there to judge size. It's not like we can bait them to sit and do a good field judgment on them. Most times you have a split second to shoot or let it go and the next guys pulls the trigger

·
Read Only
268 Posts
I shot a 32 LB bear a few years ago, it was about 70 yards a head poped out over a log, so i shot. I had no clue how big but knew was a bear looking right at me. Wasn't proud of it but i could not tell how big it was and if waited would of been gone. Bears smell you stand up to look and often cant tell the size. The mom was shot in the same area the day before so they said would of died anyway

1 - 20 of 178 Posts