The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a last day. The rest of my hunting party had an awesome rifle season so far, especially the younger members who scored on some nice buck and doe (way to go Twilly12), but I had not even seen a deer until last Wednesday when we had a snow day (one perk of teaching!). Only my father and grandfather were left hunting the farm. Dad and I had already filled a doe tag each in Archery and early muzzle loader and dad got a deer in New York so we were not in desperate need of meat, but a couple more would have been nice. Dad and I started by glassing a couple fields right away in the morning and pap started by sleeping in! We then started doing a little still hunting/sneaking to each other. My first 2 sneaks towards dad turned up nothing, but on his first sneak to me a group of 4 broke out of some pines into the field and headed right towards me. I was content with the lead doe until I noticed the much larger deer behind her. I tried a couple bleats to get them to stop but they just kept on trotting so at 40 yards I settled the cross hairs and squeezed the trigger dropping this huge deer in it's tracks...

Now I know it doesn't have any head gear, but this is a doe we have been after for a couple years. She hasn't had any offspring for 2-3 years and she has been pretty elusive in the woods. I consider her a trophy and to some extent I think a mature doe of this age is harder to harvest than a mature buck since they rarely make rutting type mistakes, but regardless I was very pleased.

The next push was mine again and I repaid dad by sending this big doe his way. Actually we wanted it to go to pap, but he could not get a safe shot off, so dad harvested her before she slipped into the brush.

Great day with family and some excellent table fare to boot.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We couldn't get an accurate weight b/c we couldn't get her legs all the way off the ground, but with what we had off the ground she tipped the scales at 130...so I would guess no more than 135 or 140, there wasn't that much dragging on the ground...biggest doe I have harvested

(PS. these are legit scales used for butchering, so I am confident in the weight, not like those yearling pics I see in the paper with the caption of 150 pounds!)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts