The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes idea of trying to come up with a recipe that was similar to Wild Bill's got me experimenting.

After experimenting, here is what I have come up with.

4 lbs of meat
2/3 cup worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 oz molasses or corn syrup

Mix marinade in a bowl, then add the meat. Marinade for at least 6 hours.

*Note - The meat is cut with the grain. If not, it will fall apart.

Put in 160-180 degree oven until done. I switch the trays (bottom to top, top to bottom) about every hour, and also flip the pieces over every hour. I also keep the oven door open a bit to keep the air moving.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
hi_tech_redneck said:
Put in 160-180 degree oven until done. I switch the trays (bottom to top, top to bottom) about every hour, and also flip the pieces over every hour. I also keep the oven door open a bit to keep the air moving.
Any pics of how you have it layed out on the trays? At the very least a description?

·
Registered
718 Posts
this is really off topic but i didnt want to start a new thread for it. I went to the wild bills beef jerky web site and I was reading the ingredients they use for there jerky and it said anchovies are in the kippered beef jerkey mixture. Anyone ever here of such a thing?

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
HTR, sounds like a winner to make for the Steeler game. Cold weekend, Big game...alot of cooking and eating this weekend.

I normally make my jerky with ground meat and a jerky gun, anyone know if that takes more or less marinade, or the same?

·
Registered
753 Posts
hi_tech_redneck said:
Dudes idea of trying to come up with a recipe that was similar to Wild Bill's got me experimenting.

After experimenting, here is what I have come up with.

4 lbs of meat
2/3 cup worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 oz molasses or corn syrup

Mix marinade in a bowl, then add the meat. Marinade for at least 6 hours.
Your recipe looks good however the key ingredient missing is a cure. 1 tablespoon/lb of meat (Morton's Tender Quick). Jerky is dehydrated or smoked at low temperatures to avoid "cooking" the meat. Therefore a cure is necessary to eliminate the development of bacteria in the meat. Check out Morton's web sight and you will learn a great deal concerning the making of sausage, jerky, and curing meats.

Take care, John

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I've never used a cure but may try it. But when I make jerky it never lasts long enough to spoil. I just made about five pounds last weekend rabbit hunting and it was gone in two days........(it was those local dairy farmers from Bradford county that ate it all......
)

I'd like to see some more recipes posted here........to get some ideas.

·
Registered
753 Posts
OneLongShot said:
I've never used a cure but may try it. But when I make jerky it never lasts long enough to spoil. I just made about five pounds last weekend rabbit hunting and it was gone in two days........(it was those local dairy farmers from Bradford county that ate it all......
)
The cure is not a preservative. It is an inhibitor. It inhibits bacteria, ie. salmonella, from forming in the meat.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
After a search for "jerky", this is marinating in the fridge for a morning dehydrator start. I added a little extra of the ground red pepper and a little garlic powder to the recipe. Can't wait and will report results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts