The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so maybe it was a rifle deer hunt but my main goal was scouting for grouse. Ended up putting up 12 from 8-930. They were grouped up in a few groups and all in different areas. I am so pumped to get back out there with Lilly.

Came hone for the rest of the day. Just can't get these feathery heart attacks off my mind.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
BowMike,
When you put up 12 birds in 1 1/2 hours you keep those covert locations to yourself, tell nobody.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pine creek. I have never seen grouse grouped up in more than 4 before. Also go to hear them chirp and such before flushing. Never heard that before. These were 4 different areas though. But with about 1 sq mile or so.

I never thought I would use rifle season for "bird watching"

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I kicked 5 in 1 drive Tuesday morning, definately not same birds. All in 6 older clearcut! All I will say is lycoming county!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not saying anything about mine. Lol the biggest group was in an older clearcut but they were roosted in pines. First one flushed then one after another. Another group was in pines. Small group in grapes. Solo in Laurel.

They kind of sound like red squirrels. Never had them give me a warning sound. Do you think when you hear them sound off before flying it is an indication of multiple grouse.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you Guys keep going with these type of Post I am going to be forced to get back into Deer Hunting

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
BowMike,
More than likely if you were in a 1 mile area when you
pushed up those different birds they were all from the same covert of about 12 birds, spread out feeding. This happens quite often in our Pa big forest. Congrats on finding a fine Grouse covert, if you return there in Grouse season they me be a little more spread out for you, but you should encounter the same birds, they may even be grouped up tighter due to the feed mass declining, you may have some real fine gunning and maybe a chance to shoot a true double Grouse. Which many Grouse hunters wait years to accomplish.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pine Creek is refering to a "double". So it would be multiple grouse flush at the same time and you shoot two on the same flush.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
bowmike said:
OK so maybe it was a rifle deer hunt but my main goal was scouting for grouse. Ended up putting up 12 from 8-930. They were grouped up in a few groups and all in different areas. I am so pumped to get back out there with Lilly.

Came hone for the rest of the day. Just can't get these feathery heart attacks off my mind.
Often when hunting grouse you are also scouting for deer and then when hunting deer you are also seeing additional grouse habitat or covets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts