The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had a day devoted to fishing. Was way late getting started but finally got stream side around 9:00. Decided I was going big today and throw articulated streamers. Which are quickly becoming my favorite way to fish. Played around at a big stocked hole but just small rainbows chasing my streamer around. Wasn't long after that and the first fish was a 16" brown. Exactly what I was looking for.

Made it another 10 minutes and brownie #2 was in the net at 18" and bulging at the sides with cray fish.

Missed the hook set on another trophy brown but quickly redeemed myself with my first 20+ of the year with this 21".

I traveled some water and had 2 close encounters but I missed the hook set and finally settled for lunch at another stocked hole. Drifted some Nymphs and ate some lunch with good success on stocked and wild fish.

I went quite awhile after lunch as the stream split into 4 or 5 sections without a hook up but that's the game throwing big streamers. But the wait paid off with this 20" beauty. Pics do it no justice. Definitely among the top 3 prettiest browns I've ever caught.

On another note I need to research snow shoe hares. Seen a rabbit in this tangle of Creek willows that was over twice the size of any cottontail I've ever seen. Also seen a few American Brook lampreys cruising around.

And this was the hot ticket today.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not sure how much bigger they are than an Eastern Cottontail, but could it have been an Appalachian cottontail? Nice pictures!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hmm I'll have to look. There was an article on them on here not too long ago and I could swear one of the defining features was that they like a higher elevation than Easterns and that they are a bit bigger. I may have it backwards, the article I read was a while ago.

Edit: Indeed Frank you know better than I! The Appalachian is the smaller of the species.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes wild fish. I haven't had any hooked deep. I've got them with front and rear hooks and never had an issue. That is a big meal for them to just swallow down like a nymph or even a spinner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts