The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out fishing yesterday and had a very successful outing. (For the exception of getting stung by 3 or 4 yellow jackets ) Landed 6 or 7 bass in a couple hours and missed just as many. Caught one real nice 5 pounder. I was using rapalas and Texas rigged worms. A couple of the ones I caught on the worms ended up getting gut hooked so I just cut my line and threw them back in.

Do any of you have any kind of method to avoid gut hooking on a Texas rig ? Usually when they hit you have to give them time to get the whole worm in their mouth so at times when I set the hook they have inhaled it so deep that I end up gut hooking them. Fishing for bass with a worm and slip sinker has always been my go to and my favorite way to fish for them. At the same time I hate when I gut hook one.

Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,594 Posts
Take a look at YouTube on hook removal of gut hooked bass....very simple procedure and won't hurt the fish....the method works really well.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I never gut hook bass on Texas rigs. Don't let them swim with the bait in their mouths....feel the tap, reel down until you feel weight and then set the hook!

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
45+ years of worming and I've had a few swallow it, usually fish that hit on the fall and swim towards you. I rarely fish wacky rigged Senko's due to my "gut hooked" ratio increasing. Sometimes I can get it out but if it's deep I'll cut the line as close as I can. I try to be careful and not cause more damage. I've caught a few that were "passing" hooks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As stated before keep your line tight as possible and about one to two taps and set the hook. Sounds like you're giving them a little too long to eat.

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As stated before keep your line tight as possible and about one to two taps and set the hook. Sounds like you're giving them a little too long to eat.
I have been . Usually I would let them run with it until they stopped and then set the hook.
I will be sure to try everyone's advice and set the hook sooner.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I wacky rig with a Gamagatsu circle hook and an o ring. no more gut hooks...

I have tried the hook removal method thru the gills and got back the hook and the worm!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts