The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many people have heard or read about the "taboo" word Simmonds used at Avery.

I just have to rant about the lame PC attempt to vilify every word and action as racist, homophobic, or inclusive.
For those who don't know Simmonds called Avery the F word commonly known as a bundle of sticks.

Of course the media is on this and making a big deal over it.

Using this word suddenly makes a person a homophobe.
When it's perfectly ok to denigrate people based on political views such as being a tea party person or for being christian I find the whole thing hypocritical.
Avery may have spoken out for gay rights but imo he needs to shut his mouth.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here is some VIDEO evidence of what your talking about ... also you flyers fans need to stop talking about Cooke after Shelley and now this hit.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, why not talk about Cooke? Shelley wouldn't have a shot at making the team if I was coach or GM. He does not have any talent other than giving guys a short rest as he plays 3-4 minutes a game and when he does fight usually it's a draw or he loses.
Sestito is just dumb. If that makes me a dumbophobe then fine.
It doesn't take much brains to realize that if you see the guys numbers you don't hit the guy.
Keep on defending Cooke and don't hijack a thread crying about Sestito.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think your misunderstanding me,

My point is your watching a physical sport played by men if tempers get hot and a few words are said or if a questionable hit happens from time to time don't whine about it.

We are being neutered by the PC crowd.

crying about Sestito.
Please feel free to go back in my post and find any thread I cried about a hit in the NHL.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'm inclined to think that most any negative, demeaning or otherwise harse words or pharses used in a hockey game are brought about to incite the gloves to come off...little more.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took liberties with saying you were crying about Sestito.
My point is that flyers fans or any fans can talk about Cooke if he does something stupid.
I wasn't sure why you singled out Shelley or Sestito.
If pens fans want to hammer Shelley then they have top wait in line.
if I took your reply the wrong way then my bad. The point of your post wasn't so clear. Don't talk about Cooke because Shelley and Sestito are just as dumb?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Tuko said:
Here is some VIDEO evidence of what your talking about ... also you flyers fans need to stop talking about Cooke after Shelley and now this hit.
That hit was done in retaliation, which is INFINITELY different than cooke giving elbows to the head or knee to knee blows. Shelley has no place on the team and you won't find me defending him. However, even his defenders dont try to say that actions like Cooke and Shelleys are "needed" because the nhl doesn't defend its players. both shelley and cooke are thugs and neither has enough talent to justify their existence on the team.

I grow weary of the news media freaking out every time somebody says something they think is homophobic. People need to get over it and stop trying to play the victim.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or to draw a penalty. Avery is a scum bag pure and simple. Sorry Sean didn't know you drew the line anywhere when it came to decency and limits on trash talking.
Anyway Avery turtled when he had the chance to drop the gloves with Simmonds.
I would have called him the same name.
Oh Avery will go after noted tough guy Matt Carle.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I find it amusing that Flyer fans are so willing to give Simmonds a pass for a slur about gays, when they themselves are currently whining about a racially motivated incident against the very same player. I find that to be hilarious! It's the typical Flyer fan mentality. We can do it, but you better not or we'll cry and whine about it.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
whining about racism?! a blatant act of racism is not comparable to on-ice banter. you gotta be KIDDING me.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
So derogatory terms towards anothers lifestyle is okay, just not their color? YOU'VE got to be kidding ME! You can't have it both ways. You're either PC or your not. You exibit the clear " it's only okay when we do it attitude". Do you think it's any less hurtful when a gay man hears those words than when a black man watches that banana being tossed? Get over your homer attitude and stop defending the actions of your player while condemning the actions of another.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
hold on, I can hardly understand you, I'll give you a second to take that foot out of your mouth

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
avery is heard on the bench screaming at Tommy Sestito, “I really don’t want to [bleeping] kill Giroux tonight.”

The matter has been given to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman for review. Simmonds is facing a possible $2,500 fine – if found guilty by the league.

“He [Campbell] asked me a question if I called him a gay slur and I told him, ‘no,’” Simmonds said. “I said a lot of other things, but that wasn’t one of them. There’s a lot of things I said to him I’m not going to repeat, but I didn’t say that to him.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadel...8306&feedID=704

lets wait and see how it plays out.

and boyyyyyyyyyyyyy doesnt jagr look good in orange and midnite?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Dan Castle said:
hold on, I can hardly understand you, I'll give you a second to take that foot out of your mouth
You must not understand what I'm saying to you. Let me try to simplify it for you. You condemn somebody for making a derogatory reference to anothers race. Yet do not condemn somebody for making derogatory comments about anothers lifestyle. It's okay because it's hockey "banter". If somebody is out on the ice calling Simmonds the "n" word , would that be okay with you? I'm not very PC, so I don't care either way. I'm not attacking Simmonds for saying what he said. I don't care what he said. I just don't like hypocrits who think it terrible when it happens to them and support it when they're the ones doing it. And you clearly fall into that category.
Now, whether Simmonds actually said it, I don't know. Nor do I care. But if he did, he has no reason to complain when others treat him with the same short sighted mentality. And neither do you. That better?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like you should have a problem more with Avery than what anyone posted here. I for one didn't say anything about the banana incident. Stuff like that is better left to the individuals involved.
I for one would rather a racist tell me he hates me because I am white to my face then do it behind my back. At least I know where I stand with that person.
Now if the banana guy were to say something directly to Simmonds that was racist in nature and Simmonds rearranged his face then fine I would be the first one to not see anything if I witnessed the whole thing.
My point was with the whole point of Political correctness that people want to always define words how they want to construe the meaning not the actual intent.
I heard someone say before that when you redefine words to be PC then after a generation or two that new description means the same thing and would be just the same.
You can't say retarded anymore it's mentally challenged. Well guess what mentally challenge means to me. The f word is the same thing. If a gay person wants to get all offended over that word then tough. I have used that word and never even thought about it used as a slam on someones lifestyle.
person wants to get all offended over that word then tough. I have used that word and never even thought about it used as a slam on someones lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
dennis h. said:
Dan Castle said:
You must not understand what I'm saying to you. Let me try to simplify it for you. You condemn somebody for making a derogatory reference to anothers race. Yet do not condemn somebody for making derogatory comments about anothers lifestyle. It's okay because it's hockey "banter". If somebody is out on the ice calling Simmonds the "n" word , would that be okay with you? I'm not very PC, so I don't care either way. I'm not attacking Simmonds for saying what he said. I don't care what he said. I just don't like hypocrits who think it terrible when it happens to them and support it when they're the ones doing it. And you clearly fall into that category.
Now, whether Simmonds actually said it, I don't know. Nor do I care. But if he did, he has no reason to complain when others treat him with the same short sighted mentality. And neither do you. That better?
Soo much better. I think you fail to understand the difference between a fan-player interaction and a player-player interaction. Theres a huge difference between two players trading insults (because thats really all a slang term for gay is) and a fan directing a racist and archaic gesture that is demeaning to billons of people toward a specific player on the ice. So when I applaud Simmons for being the bigger man and brushing off a hateful expression and find fault in the media with no hand in the fight whatsoever just trying to push an agenda of victimism, it is neither hypocritical nor supportive. I can see how thats a difficult distinction to make however, I guess.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I love how you downgrade the seriousness of the words used by Simmonds. It's just slang. It doesn't hurt anyone. Anybody using derogatory terms referring to gay people don't do it out of love. It comes from the same place that racism comes from. Hate. Just because you don't take it seriously doesn't mean that the millions of gay people and their families don't. There's no possible way that these words were said to Avery because of his support of gay people and their rights huh?
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/sports/hockey/08avery.html?_r=1

I'm glad Simmonds could see the banana incident for what it was. I give him credit for that. I like Simmonds. I led the cheers for the Penguins to acquire him at the trade deadline last year.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
bird_dog_pa said:
Seems like you should have a problem more with Avery than what anyone posted here. I for one didn't say anything about the banana incident. Stuff like that is better left to the individuals involved.
I for one would rather a racist tell me he hates me because I am white to my face then do it behind my back. At least I know where I stand with that person.
Now if the banana guy were to say something directly to Simmonds that was racist in nature and Simmonds rearranged his face then fine I would be the first one to not see anything if I witnessed the whole thing.
My point was with the whole point of Political correctness that people want to always define words how they want to construe the meaning not the actual intent.
I heard someone say before that when you redefine words to be PC then after a generation or two that new description means the same thing and would be just the same.
You can't say retarded anymore it's mentally challenged. Well guess what mentally challenge means to me. The f word is the same thing. If a gay person wants to get all offended over that word then tough. I have used that word and never even thought about it used as a slam on someones lifestyle.
person wants to get all offended over that word then tough. I have used that word and never even thought about it used as a slam on someones lifestyle.
Why would I have a problem with Avery in this situation? My posts were directed toward one person. This and the banana incident relate to each other in short sightedness. Nobody on here can tell me they know what Simmonds meant when he was saying what he said. If Avery takes it a certain way and relates that to the public then that is what happened. I actually agree with what you're saying about PC.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
dennis h. said:
There's no possible way that these words were said to Avery because of his support of gay people and their rights huh?
Dont know dont care. Its used every day as an insult and I'm fairly confident that Simmons was not insulting Avery for being attracted to the same sex at that very moment. It was probably said dozens of times in the whole game. If you want to get upset over a word that has evolved to mean stupid or annoying or generally unpleasant then be my guest. Throwing a banana at a black person only has one meaning. Props to Simmons for shaking it off and doing something that the national news is apparently incapable of doing with a lesser offense.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
and again!

“He [Campbell] asked me a question if I called him a gay slur and I told him, ‘no,’” Simmonds said. “I said a lot of other things, but that wasn’t one of them. There’s a lot of things I said to him I’m not going to repeat, but I didn’t say that to him.”

1 - 20 of 33 Posts