The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

On an unseasonably warm late September evening, the hunter sits and watches the harvest moon emerge over a distant ridge after a short practice session with the bow. Despite the temperature, the smell of autumn is in the air. The dry weather has many leaves turning color and dropping early, making it look more like early October. This only adds to the fire.

He sits and looks out at the distant ridge as if he can sense something there. All the months of practice and preparation will begin to be tested in a little over a week. For all the time spent waiting and wishing for the season to start, he knows it will go by far too quickly. He watches the moon rise above the ridge, the primal hunter deep within can feel it, he's out there.

In the moon shadows under the oaks, the old buck feasts on the fat acorns that are scattered across the forest floor. Occasionally he'll pick his head up to watch and listen, as if he can sense something out there. The time is drawing near. As the moon rises higher in the night sky he continues feeding across the oak flat. Still, now and then, he'll stop to look and listen.

The ancient ritual is about to renew once again. Both the buck and the hunter wait. Both needing each other more than those who don't understand will ever know.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
eye...I miss writing in this forum, but i certainly don't miss reading it.

10 ring buddy...

Although deer season is not in yet, we are going to Potter camp this weekend and i got a tree i plan to sit by, not when the moon is out, but it will renew a soul just the same....heck it will unite two as well, I'll be there soon Pap, got alot to talk about.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Great story, thanks. I will be in Glen Hazel this weekend, so looking forward to this years season.......

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
Yes. Does anyone else ever wonder what "their" deer is doing right now? Sometimes I think things like: My deer is probably bedded up the ridge a ways, or my deer is feeding in a cornfield right now. I may not get him that day, or even that year, but I know that, right now, my deer is out there somewhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts