The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like it would be impossible for the average joe to obtain an automatic weapons permit. How would I go about in getting one? Can I even obtain one?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
GO APPLY FOR A FEDERAL FIREARMS PERMIT........
OH, AND BY THE WAY BE SQUEAKY CLEAN THEY DO A BACKROUND CHECK THAT WILL LEAVE YOU FEELING LIKE THEY ARE COMING OUT YOUR--------. THEY ARE TOUGH AND THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. NEVER AGAIN........

·
Registered
753 Posts
Just like Steve stated.. the hard part is having the Chief Law Enforcemant Officer to sign your form. As far as the law is concerned..If you can legally own a handgun, you can legally own a full auto weapon. I hope this helps. Doc in Pa.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You don't need the CLEO sign off if you do it under a trust. It's simple you just have to be patient as it takes at least 3 months for the ATF to process the paperwork. Be prepared to pay some nice coin for a machine gun. No machine guns manufactured post 1986 are permitted to be transferred to collectors so the supply of available guns is limited and the prices reflect it.

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
Yep. Anything transferable will start about $4K and up now. That'll get ya a Mac 10, or something similar.

Last I looked, most "good stuff" starts at around $10-$12K. Even select fire Ruger Minis are now fetchin' upwards of $6K. Wasn't all that long ago that I saw some of them around here, for less than three grand.

Class III stuff ain't priced for the needy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I beleive it's called A CLASS 3 FEDERAL FIREARMS PERMIT. Lot's of paper work,fingrprints,federal forms & money last I read the permit cost $300:00 but it could be more now. As has been stated to find a weapon that can be transfered is going to be some big bucks.

Model 37

·
Registered
187 Posts
MODEL37 said:
I beleive it's called A CLASS 3 FEDERAL FIREARMS PERMIT. Lot's of paper work,fingrprints,federal forms & money last I read the permit cost $300:00 but it could be more now. As has been stated to find a weapon that can be transfered is going to be some big bucks.

Model 37

There is no such thing. Your dealer files an ATF Form 4 (two page form). You receive a copy of the Form 4 that has a tax stamp affixed to it when it is approved by the ATF. The Form 4 is your proof that the Class III item is appropriately registered and the $200 tax has been paid.

The fee to government is $200 dollars. It has been that since the 1930's. It was a backdoor attempt to greatly limit ownership of silencers, short barreled rifes/shotguns, and machine guns by the public. With inflation, it is no longer much of a barrier.

If you create a trust, you are not required to submit finger prints or obtain CLEO signoff.

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
Didja happen to notice that the link I posted above, was for "guntrust lawyer"?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so every class III gun I own has to be registered, witch there is a $200 tax on... But what would be the price to register a gun?

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
Every legally-transferable Class III firearm under the National Firearms Act has already been "registered", or it would not be legally transferable, if not mistaken?

The "tax stamp" is required for it to be transfered to your ownership.

Not all states even allow for the ownership of NFA firearms. I believe there's a list at that link? If not, Google the issue for a list of states. PA does allow them, with the proper licensing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
the paperwork takes a long time and will cost you $200. the gun will cost you thousands. go to a gun shop that specializes in class 3 they can walk you through it. the process is easy to do just long. . .

·
Registered
187 Posts
DennyF said:
Every legally-transferable Class III firearm under the National Firearms Act has already been "registered", or it would not be legally transferable, if not mistaken?

The "tax stamp" is required for it to be transfered to your ownership.

Not all states even allow for the ownership of NFA firearms. I believe there's a list at that link? If not, Google the issue for a list of states. PA does allow them, with the proper licensing.
All the Class III items are kept in a registry by the ATF. What Congress did in 1986 was to not allow the ATF to register anymore machine guns for private use. This language was essentially snuck in at the 11th hour as part of the Firearm Owners Protection Act. While appropriately licensed manufactures can produce new machine guns to there hearts content, there is no way to transfer them to a private owner since they can not be registered.

If you go to the Silencer Talk forums http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/ they have lots of details on Class III items.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
DennyF said:
Yep. Anything transferable will start about $4K and up now. That'll get ya a Mac 10, or something similar.

Last I looked, most "good stuff" starts at around $10-$12K. Even select fire Ruger Minis are now fetchin' upwards of $6K. Wasn't all that long ago that I saw some of them around here, for less than three grand.

Class III stuff ain't priced for the needy.
I hate Mac 10's. Full auto with one of them and I bet anyone they cant hit a 2'x2' sheet of cardboard 20 yards in front of them. Make it 4'x4'. I guess if you like to own one to each his own. A buddy of mine has some full auto firearms and he and I and anyone else's hands he puts the Mac 10 in can't hit crap with it. Maybe a side of a barn if I but the barrel up to it. And Denny's correct you have to start in the $five digits$ if you want anything good. I myself was kicking it around for awhile. And I'm still thinking about it actually, so I could own a few cans for some of my rifles.

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
We had some members come to a club meeting last fall, all wound up about someone using a suppressed rifle at our ranges. That quickely escalated into a "We gotta ban them things here...they're illegal" harangue.

Pointed out that someone should oughta ask the guy if he has the proper permit to own the suppressor, first, before gettin' all excited over it.

Also pointed out that if everyone at the club owned one or two of 'em, we wouldn't get any flack from the neighbors.

·
Registered
187 Posts
DennyF said:
We had some members come to a club meeting last fall, all wound up about someone using a suppressed rifle at our ranges. That quickely escalated into a "We gotta ban them things here...they're illegal" harangue.

Pointed out that someone should oughta ask the guy if he has the proper permit to own the suppressor, first, before gettin' all excited over it.

Also pointed out that if everyone at the club owned one or two of 'em, we wouldn't get any flack from the neighbors.

If you go to this website, they have some brochures you can print if you run across idiots at the range who are sure they are illegal.

http://www.ick.bz/firearms

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
I expressed the opinion to the rest of the BOD, that cans are not assumed to be "automatically illegal" and pose no threat to our club. Were I to encounter a member using one at the range, I'd ask him if he had the required paperwork to legally possess it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts