The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a martin automatic flyreel. made in usa!
thing is so cool and cleaned up nice and works well but I have a question? how do you restring the reel and should you use backing? I may just throw a high amount of flyline on it but when you start pulling off line it gets real tight a good bit before the spool is out and I don't wanna break it. any suggestions on this? I figured there may be a trick to it, I really don't wanna break it cause I really cant wait to catch a trout on it.

thanx

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You should use backing on it.It can be the difference between having it mounted or the one that got away.
Check out videos on youtube they have a lot of good ones to watch.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Get a Tie Fast Know tying tool. Very easy for the line to backing and line to leader connections. I used to use types of reels with monofiliment line and fly rods to fish minnow. Best set up for minies in my opinion. I just grew tired of not having a good drag system, and also started fly fishing. I have a pfleuger automatic and an old one I am not sure who makes it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I should put backing on there but my main question was how to restring it as far getting all the string off. I think the center knob on the side is actually a nut that you can pull off to restring and clean. I will try it when I get good line to throw on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts