The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an autobody repair question that Im hoping someone can help me out with. I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab. The other day my front driver truck door got pulled out of my hand by the wind and slammed open. When the hinges hit the bump stops it made a pretty noticeable pop noise. Now when I drive down the road at 50+mph I can hear air coming through the strip seal at the top of the door. It sounds like the window is cracked open a little bit. The door panel and front fender do not touch when the door is opened but the door panel is ever so slightly higher than the front fender when the door is closed. The hinges are welded to the door and truck body and it doesnt appear there are any bushings that could be replaced. Is there any tips on how to fix this? Or is this something shop would have to do with special tools?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Loosen bolts on top hinge on the door.
They should have a slight adjustment to them. Nuts are welded to a plate and holes in door are bigger. Don't have to take out just slightly loose.
Should be able to pull top of door in and tighten them back up.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunatly its not that easy. There are no bolts holing the hinges in place. They are welded to the door and truck body. Thanks for the help though 4C.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Try putting something like a piece of 2x4 in the door jam close to the hinges then start forcing the door closed a little at a time, check the fit and repeat as necessary.

That "trick" saved my life! To make a long story short I had sprung the driver's door on my Dad's '58 Mercury. In desperation I went to an ESSO station where a bunch of motor heads hung out. One of them, "Red" Herr(RIP) fixed it in a few minutes that way. Dad never knew!

Here >>> Sprung door fix

Bill

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
the 2 x 4 works, just go slow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts