The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question may be in the wrong place, and if it is, I apologize. I just got done reading the regs for 2010-2011, and everything I read says "manually operated rifles". Why does PA not allow any hunting with a semi-auto (referring to rifles like a Remington 7400 or BAR, not like an assault rifle type, like the AR-15 or SKS)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
artransplant said:
This question may be in the wrong place, and if it is, I apologize. I just got done reading the regs for 2010-2011, and everything I read says "manually operated rifles". Why does PA not allow any hunting with a semi-auto (referring to rifles like a Remington 7400 or BAR, not like an assault rifle type, like the AR-15 or SKS)

Because if you let one in, you have to let them all in.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you limit the number of shells in the clip what is the difference between a DPMS or a Winchester M100? We are just an old school state with too many outdated narrow attitudes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skube said:
artransplant said:

That's kinda what I figured was going on. Being new here, I just wasn't sure what the feeling was behind it. And, I do agree, if you shoot straight, it doesn't matter. I'm just kinda partial to semi-auto's, although I've never been able to afford one. Guess I'll save my money for now

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bergerjohn said:
here we go, who's ready for 13 pages of insulting, unintelegent remarks and dumb argueing?!
I'm always ready for a good theoretical debate. Let the games begin (although I really wasn't trying to dredge up trouble)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
For some it would work great, but some it doesn't matter if it is a semi, lever, pump, or bolt. If someone is going to shoot carelessly, it will happen with whatever weapon is in their hand. I would be more inclined to see capacity restrictions before action restriction (3 shot).

·
Registered
228 Posts
If someone is going to shoot carelessly, it will happen with whatever weapon is in their hand. I would be more inclined to see capacity restrictions before action restriction (3 shot).
Exactly!! I would like to see this issue delt with using facts to support either side not just emotion!

·
Registered
993 Posts
to steal a line from the crossbow debate.. "why would you deny any sportsman his choice of weapon.."

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Having been on the wrong end of some errant m-1 carbine fire from 3 individuals in W. Va. I can say that I am not for semi's in Pa.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I feel that the restriction to manually operated weapons for hunting in PA are in place for safety reasons, the concept of "fair chase" and because marksmanship is supposed to be part of hunting. I do not believe that the introduction of autoloaders supports any of these.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I feel that the restriction to manually operated weapons for hunting in PA are in place for safety reasons, the concept of "fair chase" and because marksmanship is supposed to be part of hunting. I do not believe that the introduction of autoloaders supports any of these.
How does a semi void the "fair chase" and marksmanship? Should we all only be allowed to use single shots? Turkey season is a dangerous time of year to be hunting? Is it the hunter or the weapon that causes the issue? Should we outlaw treestands for "safety reasons" they are a cause of many injuries and some deaths each year? Do the states that allow semi use have higher accident rates? There is an area I hunt we call "pump gun alley"..opening day sounds like semi's being used to me!
Just throwing some questions out there.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Oldtimer6304 said:
If you limit the number of shells in the clip what is the difference between a DPMS or a Winchester M100? We are just an old school state with too many outdated narrow attitudes!
how many times have you been to any of the PGL rifle ranges where there is a limit to shots in a clip that can be fired????....if so, how many times how you seen guys fireing a full clip over the 6 shot limit....what difference do you really think it will matter if its hunting season or the range????....plain and simple the powers to be, think it will be unsafe as do i.......bob

·
Registered
228 Posts
how many times have you been to any of the PGL rifle ranges where there is a limit to shots in a clip that can be fired????....
And how many time have you seen bolt,lever, single shot owners pull a bone head mistake at the range? The powers that be also did not want to extend archery bear, or crossbows or Sunday hunting is Pennsylvania that much safer because of the semi ban? Or is it just another old wives tale that has seen its day! If there are facts to support the idea that semi's are more dangerous in the hunting woods then by all means keep the ban! Safety First! We all have opinions but don't you think laws should be based in fact not emotion or opinion? The powers that be did this exact thing with the crossbow debate! They elimated emotion & fiction and delt with available facts. Then ran a three year "test" run. I am more for keeping opinion & emotion out of the woods than I would be crossbows & semi's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really don't see how using a autoloading rifle voids fair chase, and it certainly doesn't void marksmanship. Used within it's capabilities, a semi is just as accurate as any other rifle. You may not be as accurate making sniper-type, 1/2 mile shots with it, but who among us really needs to be taking the chance at wounding an animal by making ridiculously long shots anyway.
As for Fair chase, most other rifles have the same magazine capacity as a semi. And, a responsible hunter, no matter what gun he's using, is not going to use the "spray and pray" method. Each shot will be carefully aimed.
(Once again, not talking about an assault rifle with a banana clip attatched to it)

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
You make some valid points and from my perspective I think that technology has to stop somewhere and for me (emphasis on me) it's with bolt guns for hunting. Now, as for the pumps, well thats another good point and I admit that I have no response other than my stance relative to the technology being frozen for hunting firearms. It's just my point of view and my attempt to answer the original question.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts