The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question when planting Austrian winter pea's... From what I've read look's like prime time to plant them is August... But should you plant something else with them so the deer don't wipe them out before they mature... And do they come back after the deer nibble them down to nothing???
These plot's are going in out in Illinois... Another thing come the last week of Oct and early Nov will the deer be hitting them on a regular basis??? THANK'S

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I planted mine with Rape and Turnips. Planted in late July. I think planting them with something else made them work a little harder to find them which helped them grow better. They kept growing thru November and into December a couple of years ago, because the weather wasnt that bad. I dont know about Illinois deer but they hit mine everyday. There were does in the field everyday and some small bucks, but we all know to hunt the does during the rut and the bucks will follow

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rober... Thank's for the info... Illinois deer are no different than Pa deer, just a little bigger... I would say lately the weather out there isn't much different than Pa. Wish it were colder but I've been hunting in just a shirt lately during November... I'll let you know how I make out... Thank's again...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
We planted ours separately as well with other plants. The deer absolutely destroyed the peas planted on their own. The mixed plots like peas, oats, turnips or peas, clover, rape or peas wheat, beets faired much better. I really am sold on the Austrian peas as are the deer. The best combo I have found so far is peas, oats, clover, turnips.

Oh, you need around 50lbs per acre if planted on their own.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound's like a good combo angus.... THANK'S for the input... The deer also have corn and soy bean's to munch on.. Just want to give them a little variety... LOL

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
They are great for an early bow season. IF you plant a nice field, the deer will be in it as soon as the sprouts break the surface.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts