The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't hunted flintlock in at least 7 years but I went out this morning to one of my archery places. Before light, 3 crunched there way past at around 50 yds. I could just make out the outlines against the snow. At shooting time, 4 ( which I assume included the 1st 3 ) came from behind me and up over the hill at closer to 100 yds so I passed. Shortly afterward a lone doe came running back down the hill right to me. I grunted but she wasn't stopping so I yelled. That got her stopped but in a small clump of trees at about 10 yds. I could tell from her body language she was about to bolt and I did have a small opening over the vitals. I took carefull aim and.... blew a very large hole through a small tree with my .54. I also hit high. I got down and checked... clean miss but I probably showered her with splinters! I even followed the tracks for awhile looking for sign of a hit but nothing. Oh well. I'll try to get out a couple of evenings and maybe connect this time.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Been there, Slayer. But look at the bright side - you're a million times better off than me, sitting here at my desk (supposedly) working.

No problems with wet snow in your pan this morning?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
It happens. Did you have a chance before the season to at least check to make sure the sights were still on?

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's better to have shot and missed than to never have shot at all......who am I kidding. That [censored]. Get em next time. At least you got close. I never had a chance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know the feeling all to well. A few years ago I shot at one about 20 yards broadside and when I shot she kinda arched up and took off. I was sure I hit her and we tracked her for like an hour back and forth looking for blood. Finally went back to spot I shot to recreate scene and blew a big old hole in a small tree that I never saw. Haha.. Oh well you'll have that in big time hunting.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
that tree taste any good?

i like my tree fried in butter with some onions and mushrooms.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
got out this morning the frist deer i seen a little buck then seen 2 more comeing up the hill 2 more buck both shooters [but i already got mine ] then the ice started then snow put down 3in in hourand a half so head for the house

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
grousechaser said:
Been there, Slayer. But look at the bright side - you're a million times better off than me, sitting here at my desk (supposedly) working.

I totally second the above.

Everything is ready to go and here I am - at a desk.

·
Super Moderator
26,960 Posts
Trying to get yourself a "tree pointer"?

My favorite season to be in the PA woods, but I'm a bit far away to be out there......

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I was walking to my stand in just below knee deep snow one year and as Im about halfway there in a small clearing I see the head and rack of a deer. The deer turns, looks at me and stands up, I should my flinter, hammer pulled back, settle on the sight and click...nothing... the deer is still watching me no more than a long archery shot away. I pull the hammer back again, take aim, fire and click again...nothing...The deer WALKS off...while im trying to figure out whats wrong..I look in the pan....

ALAS.....It pays to have powder in the pan!!!!

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Yeah it,s funny to laugh at that now but I betcha back then you were close to wrappin your gun around a tree when you found out you forgot your primer charge.
A couple years ago I snuck up on some deer and when they spooked I took aim and fired.When the smoke cleared I checked the area out for over an hour till I found where my 50 cal PRB tried to decapitate a tree.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I actually took it to the range and shot off a bench 2 weeks ago. I take full responsibility. I can't blame the gun... this time. It actually wasn't snowing here until after I got home. I have a love/hate relationship with trees. I taped my father in laws buddy years ago shooting at a buck out of my tree stand and I have him blowing a tree apart on tape. Of course I've laughed many times at that one. I've also made my share of perfect shots on trees. The nice thing is they never go far and there's no bag limit.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I never forgot to put Pan Powder in , but, my first T/C Hawken had a big gap between the Barrel and the Pan. You had to be careful and carry the gun level or the Pan Powder would end up inside the Lock. Between that and the soft non-sparking Frizzen, it took alot of the Fun out of the Sport!!!!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The very first deer I ever dropped the hammer on with a flintlock could be heard laughing hysterically as she bounded through the woods. The tree I killed on the other hand...put that ball about 8 FEET JP the trunk! Lol. Missed a few more times as I got to know flinters. It comes with the territory and as you said, its been 7 years...you're a little out of practice...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Took aim at a bedded doe at 15 yards, smoke cleared and deer was bounding away. Walked up not believing I could have missed until I saw the 3 inch diameter limb that was in front of her that I dead centered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts