The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an atv (outlander 650max) Im thinking that maybe Id be better served by a UTV as I really use my atv as a utility vehicle, hauling stands, corn and all the tools associated with them. I know my atv will handle the steepest terrain my place in WV can throw at it, Im wondering if a utv would be just as capable? Not to mention a bed to throw stuff in would be great. How stabile are they? what about trail riding? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
I have a Teryx and 3 ATVs. The ATVs are more manuverable in the woods but that is the only advantage.

The UTV gets used much more often. It is comfortable. Can carry a second person and gear in the rear. If I had to keep one it would be the UTV becasue of the "utility".

·
Registered
21,260 Posts
I sell insurance for a living and do a lot of ATV insurance.UTV's are the new thing.Every single person that I've spoken with who has one,claims that they'd never go back to an ATV.Me personally,I can't see a UTV being as much fun but that's just me.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
dce said:
I sell insurance for a living and do a lot of ATV insurance.UTV's are the new thing.Every single person that I've spoken with who has one,claims that they'd never go back to an ATV.Me personally,I can't see a UTV being as much fun but that's just me.
Not more fun just more more useful.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have had several atvs and now own a Rzr. Both have there place. UTVs are very stable in climbing straight up and down, off camber you have to watch because you can't lean your body like on a quad. I have fun on both although they are very different. I bought the Rzr because I like taking people along who don't have an atv or utv, I enjoy introducing new people to the sport.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats my main concern, switching from a atv to a utv I still want to take it where I would the atv.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
Ghost said:
Thats my main concern, switching from a atv to a utv I still want to take it where I would the atv.
Some UTVs are wider than others and that is a concern if you use it off rode. My Teryx is not much wider than an ATV.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I have two Yamaha Rhinos, and a RZR. I like the Rhinos as they are very maneuverable in the woods for a side x side. The RZR is also good in the woods. The only downfall in a RZR is ground clearance, but the RZR-S has good ground clearance.
I also had the 4 wheelers, but would never trade back.
I also agree with a nicer ride, and nice to take someone along and gear in back.
Also agree with the statement that they are very stable in hills going straight up or down, although they certainly are not dangerous going sideways as long as you use common sense.
Several models and choices, from a trail riding RZR, to work machine like the Kubota, which in my opinion is not fun for trail riding, but a true work horse.
If your looking , be sure to look at the Can Am commander, they have some nice options. Also, this is supposed to be the last year for the current model Rhino, Yamaha is coming out with new versions of it, but the current Rhino is a nice machine.

·
Registered
9,646 Posts
The Kubotas don,t have any ground clearance to speak of.Didn,t the Rhino,s have a lot of bad press and lawsuits or something not to long ago?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Dummy's put their feet and legs out of the rhinos
and got them broke. Now they come with doors.

Honda has a new one out that converts from 2-4 seats.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
As stated some UTVs are designed for work while others are designed for play. The RZR and Teryx are performance machines.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im gonna have to take some test drives and see how they handle, it would be really nice just to throw stuff in a bed instead of having to strap everything down.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I test drove several models and found the Rzr best suited my needs. I still trail ride most of the time and that was my main focus. I have the standard 50" model but added aftermarket springs to give me more ground clearance, also these new springs allowed me to remove the front sway bar for better off camber situations. Going through the woods to retrieve a deer I wanted something narrow and my Rzr is as wide as most big bore 4X4. I can't do everything a 4X4 Atv can navigate but I do have more room to haul stuff. I feel Rhinos and Teryx are more top heavy which is why I didn't go that route but both have more storage than mine. I also didn't want an RzrS because they are wide and my buddy who has one can't keep up with me when things get tight, however his rides a lot better than mine.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
YZEATER said:
You can work with the teryx, it has a bigger dump bed.
I know. It also "goes real fast". This thing is faster than my ATVs..

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
You can see in this photo that the width of the Teryx is not much wider that the Polaris. Some UTVs are much wider and not as agile.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you want a UTV that goes over rivers,bogs,snow through the woods then you need a ARGO.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol!! Id buy one of them if it came with a turret!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I never owned an ATV. Finally bought a UTV a year ago after owning land for 2 decades. I really enjoy the convenience of carrying equipment and/or friends in the UTV. I have the deere gator 550. No where near a performance machine but I'm quite satisfied with it.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
For 2014, Honda is coming out with a new side by side that the dump bed converts to seats.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts