The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying an ATV from a private owner. What is the registration process and how much does it cost?-Besides the 6% sale tax?
Thanks GRHKL

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks runningdeer.
It looks to me that the title will be 22.50 and, since I will use it on my own land, registration will be free. Is there a notary fee on top of this? If so, what is the cost for that?

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
i think notarys set there own fee, but I'm not sure

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
hdt said:
Thanks runningdeer.
It looks to me that the title will be 22.50 and, since I will use it on my own land, registration will be free.
I don't think that is exactly correct...you don't have to pay for registration if you say your going to be using it on your land, but it just isn't registered...no sticker.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sales tax has nothing to do with registration. It is paid when the title and ownership is transferred. Most insurance companies are starting to require a copy of the title or other valid proof of ownership before claims are paid.
The only reason to get it registered is if you ever want to take it off of your property and ride a state atv trail or at a commercial park that requires it.

·
Registered
20,595 Posts
I wont register or insure mine until I can legally drive it on public roads...and there are a lot of unpaved public roads by my camp.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I know you definately have to pay sales tax on a quad you bought in Ohio and go to register it in PA. I would imagine the same in NJ.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
budcar said:
so your saying i dont have to pay pa sales tax if i go to register my quad i bought in nj?
To be clear on this, sales tax is paid when you apply for a title not registration. HOWEVER, you CANNOT get a PA registration without a PA title. You can get a title without then registering the atv, but you cannot get a registration without first titling it, therefore you must pay the sales tax. They are actually 2 separate transactions (but they can be, and are usually done at the same time by a dealer or a qualified notary)
The reason you do not pay sales tax immediately on a completely out of state transaction is because one state is not authorized to collect another states tax or issue out of state titles in most cases. The only exception might be a Cabela's or Bass Pro that has a store in PA, I'm not sure on that one, given today's technology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts