The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about atv registrations I know you do not need to register as long as it is going to be used only on your property does that mean only the address that is listed on the title or does that apply to any property you own.The atv would be trailered to the other property.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
im pretty sure you must be registered regaurdless of where you ride now, your property or not.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I am pretty sure it needs to be registered. it is the insurance. if you only ride your property you do not need insurance.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
All ATV's in Pa are to be titled and registered by law......if you choose to only operate it on YOUR OWN property (not uncles, dads, friends, state owned or any other land that is not owned or leased by YOU) you can opt for the limited registration which is free...but you must still have a registration plate(there will be no expiration sticker). You do not need insurance if you have the limited registration

If you choose to operate it off of your property, you will need to have the open registration which costs $20 every 2 years. You only need insurance if you will be operating it off of your property

(btw...when I use caps...I am only doing it to emphasize those words...not to be smart
)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I can say I have saw a lot of people riding 4 wheelers in the coal hills and few registration plates.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see more with out then with I know when I bought mine I got the plate and sticker since I knew I was going to be off the property with it but wasnt sure if I need one for my kids kittle one.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Camp..to add one more thing...if your child is between the ages of 8-15, they must also have a valid atv safety certificate from either a DCNR qualified instructor or the ASI, in order to ride off of your property.

Pan, yep I know....people ride without proper registration...proper insurance and what not....my goal is to inform people and hopefully they will be a legal rider....riding not only with the proper paperwork...but also making sure they are riding where they have permission to

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
You are correct on the registration and I would also add that the DCNR plate stays with the ATV it was issued for. They are not transferable like vehicle plates.

When I bought my used Kawa, the owner couldn't find the plate, so I told him no plate, no deal. They did eventually find both the title and the plate, before money changed hands.

I have no insurance or renewable registration on mine, because it's only used at camp and rarely strays onto a neighbor's farmland a bit (with permission, of course).

No desire to ride it elsewhere or on ATV trails. Bought it for work and play at camp.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
bought mine in nj 3 weeks ago and have the bil of sale and what looks like a title or origin paper?> anyhow i only use it on my property so i guess i will have to register it?. also do i have to pay sales tax in pa when i go to register it?

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
If you are only using it on your property....the registration is free (no expiration sticker)

Did you pay taxes in NJ on it? If you did...you just have to provide proof of tax paid...if you didnt, then yes you will be responsible to pay PA sales tax on it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DennyF said:
You are correct on the registration and I would also add that the DCNR plate stays with the ATV it was issued for. They are not transferable like vehicle plat

When I bought my used Kawa, the owner couldn't find the plate, so I told him no plate, no deal. They did eventually find both the title and the plate, before money changed hands.

I have no insurance or renewable registration on mine, because it's only used at camp and rarely strays onto a neighbor's farmland a bit (with permission, of course).

No desire to ride it elsewhere or on ATV trails. Bought it for work and play at camp.
Thats odd when I bought a used atv last feb.when we went to transfer the titleI got a new plate and the previous owner took the old one Inever heard of the plate has to stay with the atv.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts