The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Artic-Cat 400 LE that I sometimes have trouble with getting into gear with the automatic shifting. Sometimes once placed into "high" or "reverse" it will not shift back out to neutral unless I rock the machine or turn it off. Is there any adjustments or is there a syncro gear bad inside ? thanx for your help

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
sounds like it is binding up and not letting it free up so to speak. try to make sure you are going straight and then take it out. other then that I can't help you. I have not rode with alot of kittys. but it looks like a common problem with them. another fella I rode with had the same issues with his.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Pot I know my dads 300 had the same issues going from 1st to neutral. Never could figure out why it did it...it shifted fine while moving but when sitting still attempting to go into neutral was a pain.

But this was a clutchless shift semiauto.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
if i may butt in- i would like to know the year - reason - my father-in-law has a 2005 400- and had the same problem- he took it to bass-pro where they service that brand- now it works great- what they found was a nut(self-locking) came off on the shifter rod-- it work but would not line up-you might want to check that out-now we carry extra nuts along with us when we go riding-- good luck -

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barney it is a 2007 Artic-Cat 400 LE with 92 on the odometer. I bought it used and the guy said that he just used it for plowing. It looks new but does have this minor problem (hopefully). I checked around the shifter rod and everything looked okay,but I'll check it again. thanx

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ok- great- i check alittle more- - there should be a nylon nut attached to the shifting rod-- if that is loose in any way- it will be hard to shift- you can try this web site - it will give you pictures -might help you out-- "babbittsonline.com"-- let me know how you make out-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey barney I looked it over and the nut on the linkage by the shift handle appears okay and everything appears okay where that linkage goes to the shifter on the transmission. I checked with a old timer on a 2004 400 and his does the same thing and he has to rock the machine.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ok- a friend is going to camp with me this weekend- he works on atv's-i will ask him if he ever heard of this problem- and i will let you know- he works at bass-pro shops and they work on your type of quad- keep your fingers crossed- i just can not understand why you would have to "rock" the machine to get into or out of gear-i will get back to you sunday or monday

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx barney, I'll be looking it over again the Sunday before bear season and hoping I get a chance to use it that Monday !

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
ok- i did not forget about you or your problem- - the friend i was talking about has been checking into what could be the problem-- get back to you soon-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx again barney. I'm just hoping that if I need to plow snow that I wouldnot be causing additional damage if something is not lined up properly. The one ride I took with it revealed no problems.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
- ok - i still have no answer for you- my friend has asked other people and they have not heard of anything like that- i really dont know what to say - ride it and if something starts acting stange- stop- i even look problems on the computer and all the sites i got on gave me nothing - i will still be looking - just let me know how your making out-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts