The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Re: ATV Question...

not sure what you are saying. if you are talking about a shaft driven atv like a honda vs say a belt driven polaris? depends on who you talk too. also depends on what you do. if you trail ride and need to do work then both will be fine. both have their pros and cons. shaft drive transmissions normally are setup that there are shift points. even the automatic ones. the belt drives normally hold the atv in their power band. I say drive each and see which one you like.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Was wondering about the longevity of the Belt. Was looking mainly at the Polaris.I Kinda like the Suzuki. This will be my first Quad...probably the last one ....

·
Registered
5,669 Posts

you wont have a problem with the belt slipping or shredding unless you constantly hammer on the throttle. Normal riding should never cause you belt problems

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

unless you use high range when you should be using low range it should last a good while. the biggest problem is people use them in high range and pull too big of things with them in hi when no matter what you should be in low. power does not make up for gearing. another thing that happens is people go running through deep water. above the tires but below the racks and depending on where the intake and exhaust for the belt drive system is you will get water in there. that can cause a belt to fail also. but generally you take care of any quad and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

i have a 700 sportsman and as long as i ride like i have some common sense, it wont tear up belts. when i start getting stupid, it eats them up. normal riding, the belt will last longer than you need it to.

·
Registered
736 Posts

belt drive should be ok if your not going to be abusing it to much or swamping it in a lot of mud i had a polaris with a belt drive and after going through some soupy mud i noticedsliping i have a shaft drive now and dont have that problem

·
Registered
5,669 Posts

to sum up all the respones: its like anything else, take care of it and it will take care of you

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

I have never had a problem with the belt drives.

Ben, I pull heavy weight and food plot implements in high range but never had a problem. Maybe I better start using my low range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts