The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting an ATV or UTV and looking for some opinions. It will be used on approx. 70 acre farm to help transport deer back to the shed, run trap line, haul chainsaw, etc to location of cutting, would like to put a plow on it to plow the driveway. What have you guys used and liked and been worth the money? I don't wanna spend crazy money but would like something will last for years when maintained.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Kawasaki Mule 610. I have that and a Honda Forman. For what you described the UTV all the way. The bed beats strapping stuff to the rack. For foodplot work and access to remote areas the ATV is beat.

·
Registered
24,964 Posts
I've had a Polaris Ranger for 10 years...2005 500 cc. 4wd

I don't beat it up and it has served me fine. Mostly used for chainsaw/equip hauling. I did put a windshield on it, other than that nothing fancy.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
UTV all the way. We got a polaris ranger full size 2 years and dont know how we did it with out one. Easy to haul stands/sticks, deer, gear, and people. I would never go back to just an atv. I do have one though.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have a Deere 550. Very basic. Bought it 3 years ago and wish I had done it much sooner. I'm also north of 50 so I didn't buy it for play although an occasional evening ride is very relaxing.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
DDX said:
Kawasaki Mule 610. I have that and a Honda Forman. For what you described the UTV all the way. The bed beats strapping stuff to the rack. For foodplot work and access to remote areas the ATV is beat.
I also have a Kawasaki Mule 610,a UTV is the way to go.They haul just about anything.

·
Registered
605 Posts
UTV all the way. I have a Honda Foreman and a Kubota RTV. The ATV is only used enough to keep the battery charged since I bought the RTV.

As far as models, I was looking for a work machine, and I think the Kubota is the best for that- with the Big Kawasaki the only comparision. My brother has had one of those for 12 years with no issues.

If I wanted a more playful work machine, I would have given the Gators a good look.

Will

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you are only using for the work you described, go with the UTV. If you ever plan on doing a hunt out west and bringing your machine with you, go with an ATV. I've been on several trails in CO where having a narrower machine was much more practicable.

·
Super Moderator
6,064 Posts
I like a quad for trapping. Lighter than utv, narrower, more maneuverable. If you get it stuck, easier to get unstuck. I have big boxes for both racks to haul gear, and use winch to pull earth anchors when pulling traps. Also a little easier on gas.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I think for your purposes a UTV would be best suited.

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I currently own 4 ATV's and have a hard time convincing myself that I want or need a UTV.For the price of a UTV,I can buy a used wrangler that I can drive to where I want to ride.I sell insurance and insure a lot of off road vehicle.The rage as of the last few years has been UTV's.Most people tell me that once you have a UTV,you'll never want an ATV.I just can't see it.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
dce said:
I currently own 4 ATV's and have a hard time convincing myself that I want or need a UTV.For the price of a UTV,I can buy a used wrangler that I can drive to where I want to ride.I sell insurance and insure a lot of off road vehicle.The rage as of the last few years has been UTV's.Most people tell me that once you have a UTV,you'll never want an ATV.I just can't see it.
For a work vehicle (which for me is mostly hauling deer and treestands) a UTV performs much better than an ATV. Easy to throw things in the back and it is easier to haul a few people on. Mine is an older JD Gater that is the 6X4. They aren't very sporty as their top speed is 20 MPH and that is likely only when going down a hill. That being said I have hauled alot of weight in it. I think it is rated for 1000 lbs. Another side benefit of it is that it doesn't tear up the ground nearly as much as a 4 wheeler in wet conditions. If I did alot of riding for recreation I would definitely buy an ATV.

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
Maybe that's the difference.I have several places to ride for fun but you can't take an ATV in any of the places I hunt.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
i would get the utv. I own a 1997 Polaris sportsman atv and it has never let me down. I just sold my 2005 Polaris ranger and that machine never let me down either. the utv is invaluable if you own property. the box on the back is great for putting stuff in the back and not having to tie it on racks like an atv. this spring I am buying a 2015 Polaris ranger with full cab and heater which will allow me to use it all year long. as far as utv's I think Polaris makes the best one out there, but I do know guys are brand loyal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts