The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? ive been looking at the swisher 44" trailmower...its around 1200 delivered to my door. I cant afford a tractor and what not, so figured this might be a good idea. How do these work or is there a better trail mower out there for an atv.

·
6,450 Posts
check out tractor supply they have some pretty good stuff and you can get it one year same as cash sometimes

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have used a swisher rough cut for about 6 years now. I have had major repairs every year. Basically have rebuilt it. I've done all repairs myself and have become quite familiar with it. First issues were the mower then the engine this year. I talked to swisher several times about how rugged (or lack of) they are. They claim they are tested on some very tough terrain. Granted until my plots and trails have matured they were pretty rocky and rough but if I had it to do all over I might do something different. Can't speak to other brands, they could have had the same problems on my place. I'm hoping now that everything is essentially rebuilt, the bugs are gone.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I use my old John Deere lawn tractor, STX38, to mow plots and trails. Works pretty well considering how much of a "light weight" it is. This thing takes a beating.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't have an ATV. I found a used TROYBUILT walk behind brush hog. It has worked great. I can mow about 2 acres in 1 1/2 hours if I'm not mowing high briars. If you aren't mowing alot more than that it works great. I also use it to keep trails open. I paid 300 a few years ago for it & so far only replaced a belt. A stick got stuck & broke it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have about a two mile road i need to cut the edges of. Then i have around 6 acres of food plots that need cut along with all the trails going to them. Some of the grass and briars in these places are 5ft + and i dont have anything that can do this. Cant get a tractor into these places, its only atv accessable or small tractor

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have a 1988 Yamaha Terro Pro that is a ATV with a 2pt. PTO system that came with a 4ft brush hog & finish mower. I bought this for around $1500 about 7 years ago & is still running strong.

Yamaha stopped making these but you get find them on E-Bay every now & then.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Zac, sounds more like you need a compact tractor with a bush hog more than a trail mower.

Have you considered spraying along the roads with Roundup and 2,4,D instead of mowing? I have a boom srpayer that if I plugged the nozzles on the one side and tied the other side of the boom up on an angle, I could spray roadsides, if I wanted to.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Similar to what Dutch said, you can buy boomless nozzles that will spray straight down and about 15 feet out the sides (this can be adjusted by turning the nozzle and adjusting pressure at the pump) so you don't hose everything down like you would with a boom tied up. May be a option to spend the money on a trailer and rent a tractor and bushhog by the weekend as needed for the amount of ground you are trying to cover. Just make sure to get the optional insurance if you do rent!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Featherduster, that's a great idea! I'm kinda in the same situation here. Don't have the extra money to go out and spend on a tractor. Could anyone point a fella in the right direction of where to rent one? Along with the brush hog? Would the tractor supply store know of a place to rent one? That would be great to find a place I could rent one for the weekend and possibly even have it delivered to my location.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I bought a Swisher 44" rough cut mower at cabelas a couple years ago. I haven't had any problems. Obviously a diesel tractor with a brush hog would be better but I have been happy with my swisher. It does a good job rough cutting but definately don't get a rough cut for finish mowing a lawn. Great for brambles, etc.

One thing if you decide to buy one. Cabelas' price was a couple hundred dollars higher than Tractor Supply but the Cabelas mower was still in the box. TSC had theirs chained up outside and were a bit weathered. I told cabelas about the TSC price and they matched it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts