The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I kinda learned the hard way that regular hunting gloves don't keep the hands very comfortable when your're riding an ATV to the deerstand.

What are you fellas wearing to keep the thumb from going numb when the mercury is floating somewhere south of 20 degrees F? :crying:

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Some old mitten/gloves I've had for 20+ years... no clue who made them.. they're FO, brand tag on the wrist has long since faded to blank... They have a mitten-flap that covers over a "fingertip-less" type of glove. I stick a toe warmer in each "mitten" portion. Does nothing for the thumb, but keeps the trigger finger warm.
I also don't whip up the road at 30-40MPH to my turn-in point when it's frigid out... Wind is the enemy to warm hands.
I tend not to notice the cold too much on the ride in, too busy scanning and trying to ride as smoothly and quietly as possible. I'll warm up plenty once I get to the blind.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wear some old Thinsulate gloves with a snap open trigger finger. It doesn't matter to me because I can get to my stand before my hands get cold. I don't wear loves in the stand, I have hand warmers in both coat pockets and keep my hands in my pockets. If gloves are warm enough to keep my fingers warm they are too heavy to shoot with for me.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had been searching for gloves/mittens made just for this purpose, but there are literally hundreds. From $20 all the way up to the ridiculous over $400. Some with impressive amounts of both thinsulate and polarfleece, along with lithium ion battery powered.

The 40 gram thinsulate I normally hunt cold weather in just don't make the cut, isn't there another one of us who needs something more than the heavy insulated generally sold? Hand warmers didn't work on the throttle controlling thumb,and holding a numb thumb behind the exhaust to warm it was less than desirable.

I admit to jealousy of you guys who have hands that stay warm.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't have any experience with ATV's but I have heated grips on my big motorcycle and there's nothing better. I don't even wear heavy gloves anymore in the winter, just crank up the heat in the grips and my hands stay toasty.
But the heated grips will no help the cold steel thumb throttle, unless you convert to a twist grip throttle which I have been thinking about.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on keeping the hands and thumbs warm. I looked them all over carefully and began researching based on what you said.

I'm going with the Kolpin set-up sold by Amazon which has three parts.
1- Gear protector mitts. (Stay on the quad and block wind)
2-Hot thermal grips. (12V grip heaters)
3-Thumb warmer kit (With on/off switch)

The original plan was a pair of gloves/mittens that would do the job, this seems much more appropriate.
Thanks all!:smile2:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My package arrived, and I installed the grip heaters, thumb warmer, and have the "mittens" (gear protector mitts) in my rear storage box at the ready.

I'm very pleased with the function of all three components, and I'm confident that numb digits are a thing in the past. I wanted to let you guys that were such a big help know it's complete, and your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts