The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, last year, in spring, I needed a new battery for my Polaris 500. Got one at Adanced Auto. Lasted a year and dead. Got a better one this spring at Advanced Auto in April of this year, its dead as of yesterday.

Do I have a charging problem or are these just crappy batteries? Seems the original Polaris battery lasted many years but these things don't.

Going to buy a new one for deer season, then maybe have it checked over the winter.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Dutch, do you use your atv to spray your food plots. I had battery problems also and it was from our sprayer pulling to much juice from the battery and my atv not being able to recharge it enough. I think Polaris batteries are better then the off brand.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but I don't do a lot of spraying, maybe an acre or so.

Never had issues before, but do now.

Now, it came back from my brother using it for bear season and it is now stuck in reverse, on the bed of his pickup. Second time that happened. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Went through the same deal with my atv and my sons...went to Wmart and got a $18 trickle charger and leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm thinking I need to do that. Taking it to the dealer to get it checked out today and off the danged truck!!!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They used a fork lift with extra long forks to lift my atv off his truck! Amazing.

Hopefully, they'll have it back for deer season.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Get a gel battery. ATV's bounce a lot (obviously) and that hurts battery life. Look around and you'll find a decent deal. I got one for my 700 sportsman for $88 shipped.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I hope you get it back for opening day but I wouldn't hold your breath. Especially if you're getting the reverse fixed. How long did your stock battery last? There's a reason batteries cost $18 at Advanced. Tell your dealer to put a Yuosa battery back in. I believe that is the stock brand.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked the atv up today at Pat and Son outside of Annville.

The linkage locked up on the reverse.

There was a corroded wire that caused the charging system to fail. They replaced it, charged the battery and I was good to go!

Thanks Pat and Son!!!!!!!

But to be safe, will be putting it on a trickle charger over the winter.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
going to add my 2 cents- do not get a trickle charger- when the battery is fully charge - trickle chargers will not turn off -burning out your battery-- look into a "float" charger- they turn off and will not burn or over charge your battery- i learned the hard way- they are about the same price- just an idea -

·
Registered
283 Posts
First thing first, Batteries from Walmart, Home depot, advanced, autozone etc etc suck . they suck they suck they suck. Spend the extra $20 and buy a good interstate. Everyone runs out and buys a crap battery and has to replace it the next year. Next make sure you clean your connections really well, dirty connections can keep the battery from recharging properly when you use the machine. If you let the machine sit for a long period of time without using it you should start it up and let it run for a while every so often or hook a battery tender up to it. If you need more information send me a email and i will help you. Just never buy those garbage batteries!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once deer season is over, it will go in for service and I will buy a new battery for it. Obviously, they tested the battery and it was fine, for now.

I have a battery tender now and will be using it over the winter, as well as running the engine from time to time. If we get snow, I'll be plowing snow with it, which will help as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Glad to hear everything went well. Shops in my area are a nightmare to deal with. The last time I had a quad in the shop they had it for 12 weeks. Unexceptable. I do everything I can myself now. Good luck this season.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The battery on my 05 Kawa Brute force finally died, would not hold a charge in the cold temps we have now - I guess I can't complain..Got an Interstate Battery for it - WOW sticker shock!! $80. but from what I hear they are good!!Had to pull start it last night to plow the driveway. Don't want to make a habit doing that. kinda hard turning over a 750 cc motor when it is cold!!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I know what ya mean. I had to get a new battery for my 04 450 Kodiak over the summer. It was $86! Those closed cell batteries are pricey

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Dutch do you regularly start your atv?

Its recommended to start it and let it run a few times a week.....when I find myself not starting mine for a month, low and behold I end up having problems with all of them at times.

Trickle charger is a great idea!!!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
devonb said:
Look around and you'll find a decent deal. I got one for my 700 sportsman for $88 shipped.
Man, I got a 2004 Sprtsman 700, and it has the worlds most expensive battery. I think it uses a 30 amp.

I had to replace it twice in the last 18 months. All other batteries for ATV's are about 50 bucks, but somehow mine is always about 130. When I give them the model, they always say, "Oh, that's the big one."

Got lucky last time I needed one, dealer didnt have any, so sent me to a "Battery Warehouse" type place. I called the guy, he said 65. I told him to doublecheck...sure enough, 65!!

But that one is probably dead now, machine wont be run for another year.

I go through more ATV and Harley batteries than anyone!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts