The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago I ask a C.O. from a neighboring county what I was legally to do with deer tags. I was told that a taxidermist is considered a processor and once the tag number is logged in my paperwork I could destroy, keep or return them. Several weeks later I ran into a local taxidermist that was told by a C.O. that they were to be put on the capes till it was mounted. After a visit from my local C.O. today I found out that a taxidermist is not considered a processor and that the tags must be attached to the horns till it is mounted then it can be removed, destroyed or returned with the mount. The local taxidermist was told the hide is considered = green= that's why the tag must remain with it and now today I was told the horns are considered = green= that's why the tag must be on them. I'm so confussed!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My point is there are 3 C.O.'s that interperate the law 3 different ways. I have not been in another shop yet in my area and saw a tag on the horns that were cut off. I am going to do exactually what the C.O. from my area told me to do with the tags. What do you other taxis do with them?

·
Registered
293 Posts
mike is away hunting but i will ask him when he gets back and let you know!

·
Registered
293 Posts
mike said he leaves them on hte antlers or attaches them to the paperwork/receipt. he was told he would not even have to that because once it is caped it is cosidered processed. i think do what was told to you by the officer near you. there should be paperwork mailed out with all these rules listed in black and white terms so there is no gray area.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steph I have no use for those idiots on there anymore. I don't need anyone belittling,degrading or telling me how stupid of a question that is. My officer told me that a deer is not considered processed till it is mounted. I would like to see those rules also but I don't think anyone is sure. Besides that gray area goes in their favor. See you all in a week.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Dave Dillon said:
Steph I have no use for those idiots on there anymore. I don't need anyone belittling,degrading or telling me how stupid of a question that is. My officer told me that a deer is not considered processed till it is mounted. I would like to see those rules also but I don't think anyone is sure. Besides that gray area goes in their favor. See you all in a week.
LOL so true about the crowd over there, nothing changes huh? To me, if they start bashing on me, I will defend myself. I was one of the first people to post when the site first came out. It was me, John C, John Belluchi, and Bill Yox, pretty much right at the beginning. There was some other site before that John C and I were on, and we sort of coined the term "hacksidermist" together. I don't know who came up with "powder jockeys" though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dave you do not need to have the tag on the ear at your shop. I take them off and write down all the info and give the tag back to them. You are only required to keep the information the Dept of Agriculture has listed in their rules. Call the dept of agricultue. That is who gives you the license.
Hunters, You don't even need to put a hole in the ear. Just use a zip tie around the base of the ear. It cant come off.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Dave, I'm one of the Idiots over there. Come on now, most people on there are good people.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Dave Dillon said:
Several months ago I ask a C.O. from a neighboring county what I was legally to do with deer tags. I was told that a taxidermist is considered a processor and once the tag number is logged in my paperwork I could destroy, keep or return them. Several weeks later I ran into a local taxidermist that was told by a C.O. that they were to be put on the capes till it was mounted. After a visit from my local C.O. today I found out that a taxidermist is not considered a processor and that the tags must be attached to the horns till it is mounted then it can be removed, destroyed or returned with the mount. The local taxidermist was told the hide is considered = green= that's why the tag must remain with it and now today I was told the horns are considered = green= that's why the tag must be on them. I'm so confussed!
If you want to be even more "confussed," what do you do if you hang the unprocessed carcass in your garage, take a green hide to someone who buys deer skins, and drop off the head/antlers at a taxidermist for a European mount?

To which do you attach the tag?

What if you sell the cape to the taxidermist to use on someone else's mount? Does your ear tag go on that guy's mount until it is finished?

Does anyone know if the word "processed" is defined in the game code or in the law?

Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
Everyday Hunter said:
Dave Dillon said:
If you want to be even more "confussed," what do you do if you hang the unprocessed carcass in your garage, take a green hide to someone who buys deer skins, and drop off the head/antlers at a taxidermist for a European mount?

To which do you attach the tag?

What if you sell the cape to the taxidermist to use on someone else's mount? Does your ear tag go on that guy's mount until it is finished?

Does anyone know if the word "processed" is defined in the game code or in the law?

Steve
You are not allowed to sell deer hides or capes unless you have a fur dealers permit.
The taxidermist does not need the tag. We just need your license # and some other information that the Dept of Ag. requires. You sign a paper at MY shop stating that the animal was taken legally. If you want to know more about Game Commission laws, you should contact Harrisburg.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Good info, Brian. I didn't post what I said because I'm trying to confuse anyone -- only that all the various hearsay opinions can easily conflict with one another. I agree completely that answers should come from Harrisburg.

Steve

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your exactly right. Hear Say!

Call Harrisburg and get the facts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts