The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting my first round of potatoes. Half will be used for french fries and half for baking.
I am interested to hear any suggestions you have. Not only soil conditions but what potato is better for baking vs frying. -SL

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Well I could be wrong, but you are probably late getting them in this year. I picked my first Yukon golds the other day that were planted the last week in April and we cooked them over the fire at camp this weekend sliced w/ onions wrapped in foil... and man were they good. Sorry I couldn't answer any more of your questions.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Like Pa Bird said usually put mine in in early spring. I'm digging Yukon Golds out now. Had to replant my Red Norlands this year so their a little late. You probably want a white, russet type for fries & baking. I just dig a trench, put 10-10-10 in, compost on top mixed with bone meal, then potatoe pieces. Cover with a few inches of dirt. As they grow keep hoeing the dirt in till you have a hill. Then when they finish growing, and turn brown, dig them out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Give it a shot!. I usually plant potatoes on the longest day of the yr(around 6/21) What have ya got to lose?
Potatoes like new ground which is usually a little bit on the sour side. Add some sulfur to help with the blight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts