The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like something tried to eat this button buck. I have about 10 pics of it, and its back end and shoulder are roughed up pretty good.
The deer are real fat this winter with all the acorns, and also surprisingly nocturnal.

[img:center]

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure. No barbed wire fences or even roads in this area. It is way out in the woods. I thought it could have got kicked around by a doe while feeding, but I don't think kicking would do that to the hide.
Whatever it was, I would have expected them to go after the spine in the rear like it did. But, I was surprised to see them also focus on the shoulder. The only predator tracks I saw in the area were fisher tracks. But, I know there are yotes around.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks to me like his fur is just messy, probably from other deer kicking him. If a predator would have got him in those area's he'd more than likely be a pile of fur and bones. Deer do a surprising amount of damage when they kick each other, i've seen them with bald lines down their backs and sides. It looked like someone shaved them!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think it is actually from other deer poking and kicking at it to get it out of the way. (pecking order). I have seen this a good many times before. When they come into corn piles and stuff there is always a lot of pushing kicking and poking with antlers. I have a pic of a young buck now that looks just like that. He wasn't like that the first week or two. Have lots of pics of other deer raringg up at him. Just my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
A few years back while canning meat from a doe three claw/teeth like things were found in the one hind quarter. We initially thought they were teeth...strange. A gentleman at a predator expo then told us they were the nails out of a yotes paw. They look just like the nails on the paw of a large dog.

·
Registered
242 Posts
it's got a cowlick, just like me. and probable cares about the same.
1BigBird said:
A few years back while canning meat from a doe three claw/teeth like things were found in the one hind quarter. We initially thought they were teeth...strange. A gentleman at a predator expo then told us they were the nails out of a yotes paw. They look just like the nails on the paw of a large dog.
there is no way a canines claws pulled out of their pad. they'll slide off before that ever happens. cats claws are hooked and have a far better chance of hooking into flesh and not being retracted and henceforth being pulled out. still unlikely though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.