The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather is 86 and has several medical conditions that make it difficult for him to hunt these days. To show thanks for all the years he took me fishing and hunting as a kid, last year I basically gave up hunting the first couple days of the deer firearms season to focus on helping him get out. He has Parkinson's among other health problems which makes it very challenging to steady his gun, load it and operate it. So I basically for the most part, help him pick out his target, make sure he is on the target and then help him be safe about shooting.

This year he obtained a disabled hunters permit as his conditions qualify him. I again want to assist him, but am trying to make sure I am legal in doing so... From my reading, it appears only one gun can be loaded in the vehicle after it has been pulled off the roadway and has come to a stop. At that point, it is legal for that one gun to be loaded and the vehicle be used as a "blind".

So it is my understanding, I would be allowed to sit with him in that vehicle, I just cannot have my gun loaded?

Second, there is a SGL next to my family's hunting land. The main road that runs through the SGL is only open to hunters with a disabled permit...

Am I allowed to accompany him in this vehicle as the driver, or does he have to be driving the vehicle or am I even allowed in the vehicle at all while on this road only open to hunters with disabled permits? I want to utilize the SGL as it has a couple of larger fields next to this road and my grandfather just really likes to sit next to a field and watch it. I think with his vision, it's easiest for him to pick deer out in an open field as opposed to wooded areas. Our family hunting land doesn't have any large open fields to utilize.

Also, if it is legal for me to ride/drive with him utilizing the road only open to those with a disabled permit, can I ride with him to a location that we park at to then hunt away from him? Sometimes, he kinda gets mad at me for "babysitting" him and tells me to go hunt on my own and usually takes a nap while I do this. With his age and health, he gets tired easily and rather than have me sit there and watch him sleep, he'll let me hunt by myself for a bit while he naps...

I appreciate any info on this. I wanna help my grandfather out, but also don't wanna violate the law either. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Well I don't know the answers to your questions,but I would like to say it is a great thing you are doing for your grandfather

I wish you luck in your upcoming seasons!

I'm sure somebody will chime in with the correct answers.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
I see you hunt in 4A. Do you and your grandfather have doe tags? If so, and you find it too complicated to do the disabled thing on gamelands, PM me. I have a spot on my ground you would be welcome to bring him to and sit in his vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
Sec. 2923. Disabled person permits.

(a) Use of vehicle as a blind. -

(3) Permittees shall carry the permit upon their person while hunting. Any person named on this permit may hunt while using an automobile or other vehicle as a blind. The permittee shall not use the vehicle to flush or locate game. The vehicle may be used only as a blind or platform from which to shoot. The firearm shall be unloaded at all times while the vehicle is in motion.

Sec.

147.61. Permits for certain disabled persons to use a vehicle.

When exercising the privileges granted by a permit issued under authority of section 2923(a) of the act (relating to disabled person permits), it is unlawful to fail or neglect to comply with the following:

(1) If the firearm is loaded, the vehicle shall be off the right-of-way of a public highway and shall be at a complete stop with the motor turned off.

(2) No more than one firearm may be loaded in either chamber or magazine at one time.

(3) Only the permittee may discharge the firearm.

(4) Other provisions of the act and this part, including license requirements, that apply to hunting in general apply to hunting under this permit.

(5) This permit is subject to Federal regulations which prohibit taking migratory game birds—waterfowl, woodcock, snipe, rails, doves and gallinules—from or by use of a sinkbox, motor-driven conveyance, motor vehicle or aircraft.

(6) This permit does not authorize possession of a pistol or revolver contrary to 18 Pa.C.S. § § 101—9183 (relating to the Crimes Code).

(7) This permit is valid to hunt only during established hunting hours.

§ 135.48. State game lands roads open to vehicular traffic for disabled persons.

(a) Vehicular traffic permitted. Vehicular traffic will be permitted on designated roads on State game lands for persons issued a Disabled Persons Permit under section 2923
(a) of the act (relating to disabled person permits). State game lands roads open to vehicular traffic for disabled persons will be designated by the Director. The Commission will make a list of these open roads available to the permittee.

(1) Roads designated for limited open travel will be open from 14 days prior to the opening day of archery season to the closing day of the muzzleloader/archery season. Any travel authorized by this section is subject to further limitation based upon existing weather or road conditions as indicated by conspicuous signage or postings.

(2) A permittee may be accompanied by only one person, and before participating in hunting in any manner that person shall be in possession of a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtakers license. The permittee may also be accompanied by one or more of the permittee’s children who hold a valid junior hunting or furtakers license.

Good luck and thank you for your dedication to helping your grandfather out with his waning years of hunting.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
gentleben said:
I see you hunt in 4A. Do you and your grandfather have doe tags? If so, and you find it too complicated to do the disabled thing on gamelands, PM me. I have a spot on my ground you would be welcome to bring him to and sit in his vehicle.
Awesome offer! You, sir, would be welcome to hunt with me anytime.

·
6,466 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
gentleben said:
Awesome offer! You, sir, would be welcome to hunt with me anytime.
x2 buddy you are what this sport is all about i commend you

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it appears I can ride with him or drive him I just cannot be the one with the loaded gun as I thought. I don't see anything about it being illegal for me to get out of the vehicle, load my gun and hunt from there as well... So it appears what I hoped to be able to do is legal. Thanks Dick for the help. I had read that code section, but hadn't found the section of SGL road usage which was what I was most concerned about.

Gentleben, thanks for the kind offer! My grandfather and I both were fortunate to draw doe tags for 4A. I'm gonna do some preseason scouting on the SGL next to my family's land and see how things look. If they seem reasonable, we'll most likely hunt there. I'll be up that way this Wed and Thu. The SGL next to our land is still in good shape deer number wise. I know from previous years that after the first couple days of firearms season, the deer get pushed to the middle of the SGL. So, being able to drive my grandfather a couple miles in on roads otherwise closed will really up his odds for success. If things don't look doable, I will send you a PM. Again, thanks much for the offer! My grandfather is very much from the old school way of hunting and doesn't care how big the deer is nor if it is a buck, if it's legal he's more than happy to shoot it. He is one of those that hates the antler restriction laws. He says his old eyes just can't count points. I do that for him now though! HAHA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts