The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a lot of the media and even some of the threads on the forum, there has been an incorrect description of an AR-15 style weapon as an "assault rifle" and comparing an AR or it's variants to an AK-47.

An "assault rifle" is a military weapon that is capable of selective fire, semi-auto or full auto.

An "assault weapon" is basically a legal and political term invented to classify certain guns that have some characteristics of true assault rifles.

The "AR-15" does not mean "Assault Rifle-15", despite what TV talking heads say. It is NOT a military assault rifle, it is NOT the same class of weapon as an AK-47 or M-16. It might look like an M-16, but it is not the same gun.

By the definition of "assault weapon", if you had a gun that had a detachable clip (such as a Rem 760) and had a threaded barrel for a BOSS (which could be changed out for a flash suppressor) and decided to change to an aftermarket stock with a pistol grip and thumb hole, you have an "assault weapon".

Don't be confused or fooled when the news talking heads or politicos talk about "assault rifles" and "assault weapons" interchangeably. These are two separate things.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes, select fire makes a big difference. However, like I said in another post, weapons like AR15's, Ak's, etc; are designed for combat. Any claim otherwise is irresponsible. And modern semi-auto fire isn't exactly slow. I've seen guys who can bump fire just as fast as full auto fire.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Snyder80 said:
Yes, select fire makes a big difference. However, like I said in another post, weapons like AR15's, Ak's, etc; are designed for combat. Any claim otherwise is irresponsible. And modern semi-auto fire isn't exactly slow. I've seen guys who can bump fire just as fast as full auto fire.
So you are basically saying that it is all in how the gun LOOKS. So, if instead of having a parkerized finish, flash suppressor, pistol grip, and adjustable butt stock, a semi auto looked just like a Model 700 or 70 and you could slap a 20 or 30 round clip in, that's ok?

The Mini-14 and Ranch Rifles pack the same amount of firepower as an AR, yet nobody talks about them because they don't LOOK like a "combat" weapon.

You do realize that the US military uses bolt action rifles, just like you and I and millions of other deer hunters for sniping right? I guess we could consider them "combat weapons"?

Military and LE also use shotguns to carry out their duties as well. I guess they are combat weapons too...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm not talking about the looks. Some people may be doing that but I'm not one of them.

What I'm talking about is capacity. Mini-14's, Ranch Rifles, AR's, AK's all fall into the category I'm speaking of.

It isn't the look I'm focusing on. I don't care if it's wood grain, synthetic, whatever.

And yes, I was a Marine, I'm well aware that the military uses bolt action rifles. Some of them are designed for combat, in a limited, specialized capacity. You know why? Because no one wants to stand at the front line and face down the enemy with a bolt action rifle, capable of firing a maximum of 6-10 rounds before manual reloading occurs while the guy across from you is carrying 30 or more in a single magazine.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I keep hearing people say that common men have no real need for AR-15's or AK's. I've owned both in the past. I never hurt anyone with them and for me they had a practical use target shooting and if needed home defense. I thoroughly enjoyed plinking with them, never hurt anyone and it was reassuring to know that if my home was broken into I had them to defend my family with if necessary. If someone were to be coming into my house to do my family harm I would like the option of a larger capacity clip as in situations like that stress levels are at there highest and reloading in that situation if necessary could mean the well being of a loved one. If I have the option available to me to have something with a higher capacity for target shooting and home defense I'm going to use it. I would also like to say that it would be my worst nightmare to ever have to use one in defense and I hope I would never have to. I think they have a purpose. Before all this happened I was actually hoping that AR's might eventually be introduced for varmint hunting.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Snyder80 said:
Tell me the difference between my bolt action hunting rifle and an evil "sniper rifle"? While not as popular a buzz word as "assault rifles", "sniper rifles" has been used to demonize firearms.

I've seen guys work pump action and lever action rifles so fast you might think they were semi-automatic. So what is your point?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Steve in PA said:
Snyder80 said:
Tell me the difference between my bolt action hunting rifle and an evil "sniper rifle"? While not as popular a buzz word as "assault rifles", "sniper rifles" has been used to demonize firearms.

I've seen guys work pump action and lever action rifles so fast you might think they were semi-automatic. So what is your point?
Can you slide a 100 round drum into a pump action or lever action rifle?

That is my point.

That kind of ammo capacity, whether it be a 30 round magazine, or a drum magazine, makes the average psychopath a much more well equipped psychopath.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Snyder80 said:
Steve in PA said:
Snyder80 said:

Can you slide a 100 round drum into a pump action or lever action rifle?

That is my point.

That kind of ammo capacity, whether it be a 30 round magazine, or a drum magazine, makes the average psychopath a much more well equipped psychopath.
you can add a drum mag to almost any firearm. the lever would be about the only one you couldnt.

·
Administrator
30,876 Posts
Must we be specific? Cant we just call them guns?
Lets get real here, the antis consider this to be a golden opportunity and as far as they're concerned this talk about banning specific firearms is nothing more than a step in the right direction, a ban on all guns, and they have no intention of stopping until they get their way.

·
Registered
19,985 Posts
Right on, Diya.. The antis will use the word "assault rifle" then the fine print on what classifies a gun as a assault rifle will slide under the radar and seriously restrict many firearms that are firmly entrenched in the sporting, target and personal defense communities.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snyder80 said:
An AR-15 is no more "designed for combat" than a Remington Model 700. It looks like an M-16, that's all. The Remington R-10 is a hunting weapon, not a military weapon. It is as accurate or more accurate than many guns not being called out in these debates.

You equated an AR-15 with an AK-47 which is incorrect.

A Remington 760 takes a detachable clip that can be replaced with a different clip of greater/lesser capacity. Guys familiar with and experienced with their 760 can lay down a rate of fire similar to an AR, with a .30-06 or similar round with significantly more energy than a .223.

Don't let the emotion of a tragedy caused by an insane person cloud judgement based on facts. An insane man in China killed numerous children with a knife or sword. He didn't have a gun.

·
Premium Member
4,388 Posts
An AR-15 is no more "designed for combat" than a Remington Model 700. It looks like an M-16, that's all. The Remington R-10 is a hunting weapon, not a military weapon. It is as accurate or more accurate than many guns not being called out in these debates.

You equated an AR-15 with an AK-47 which is incorrect.

A Remington 760 takes a detachable clip that can be replaced with a different clip of greater/lesser capacity. Guys familiar with and experienced with their 760 can lay down a rate of fire similar to an AR, with a .30-06 or similar round with significantly more energy than a .223.

Don't let the emotion of a tragedy caused by an insane person cloud judgement based on facts. An insane man in China killed numerous children with a knife or sword. He didn't have a gun.

Very well stated....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
First of all, I agree with what DIY said earlier. More gun laws of any type only help the criminals while taking away our rights.

Now some one please help me out here, 2 times in this thread I have read that an AR-15 and an AK-47 are are not the same type of rifle. Other than assuming those comments are refering to a full auto/burst select fire AK, there is no differance. If you take a WASR-10 (semi auto AK-47) and compare it to an AR-15 there is absolutley no differance at all. Except minor accuracy and possibly dependability in harsh conditions. I am a gun guy and own both, and I am baffled by the comments saying they are differant. HELP ME UNDERSTAND.....

·
Registered
746 Posts
Don't own any "weapons". That would imply I intend to injure someone with them. I do however own a bunch of "firearms".

·
Registered
805 Posts
Would the actions of a mad man been less sever if he would have used any number of other forms of mass destruction. Look what happened with simple box cutters, or a truckload of fertilizer. I am old enough to remember the 1966 Texas tower shooting. No matter what bans or new laws enacted evil will find a way in. Too many times in history a great tragedy arises and with emotions running high, We rush to judgment and a need for instant gratification cloud reasonable thought. Why other than media biases do we judge guns differently than automobiles. One evil piece of garbage commits a horrible act and the millions of gun owners are put in a bad light. Where are the calls for 4 cylinder motors in cars. How many people do you imagine were killed by excessive speed or drunk drivers this past weekend. Or for that fact, drug crimes or over doses. We have laws against drug use but drugs are found on a regular basis on our streets and in Prisons. If we can not keep drugs out of the prisons nor off our streets, how do you proposes to stop true evil. As with every senseless act the millions of law abiding Americans are pushed to accept the loss of hard fought freedoms Because of the actions of one truly evil man intent on mass destruction. Even if the AR rifle was not available to him. I believe the out come would have been the same or worse.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Sad to say, but the anti-gun crowd screams the loudest and the politicians cave in and give them what they want, and many people listen to the liberal media and believe them because they don't hear the truth..

·
Banned
317 Posts
An AK-47 and AR15 are the same type of rifle just different caliber ussually. I am not for an assault but weapons ban but they are assault wepons just in a semiauto configuration this isn't the 10 oclock news why try to spin things like they do.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Our founding fathers spoke specifically of tyrannical governments. This was their biggest fear for the future of our fledgling nation and the express intent of the second amendment.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts