The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Great forum you've got going on here. I'm a Philadelphia resident into fishing who is looking to get into hunting. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to find a mentor in my area? I've tried friends of friends etc to no avail. Ideally I'd like to go for some whitetail but am open to any mentorship on big or small game hunting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
We're all singing pretty much the same tune, that being locate a hunting/fishing club being your best way of getting started. I noticed you haven't hunted before, so you will also need to take a Hunter Education Course before you can get the lisence. Welcome to HPA! The answers to those future questions are right here!

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
Welcome to the site! I know there's a club in Holmesburg that's pretty good.
This club was a great place when I was a member years ago, right next to the fire and police Academy's on State Rd.
They have indoor pistol range and outside rifle and trap ranges.
You needed a sponsor back when I got in and you were asked to make a few workdays.
had many activities for the family both hunting and fishing.
Members were allowed to bring guests to use the outside ranges.
Any style hunting weapon you were interested in they had a club there for it.

not sure how it is now but there were over 3,000 members but a very small percentage were interested in anything other than using the range.
Definitely a good place to inquire about even if you don't know a member to sponsor you. Sitting and talking to a few old timers might take a liking to you and put you up.
Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts