The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gonna plant some this year. i'm thinking 20 plants is that alot or not enough.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
It depends on how much you like it, and how many people are eating it. Our family of four can eat it 3 or 4 times a week, and we can keep 30-40 plants eaten down pretty well. It does grow pretty quickly on those warm late spring nights after a decent rain though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Remember -you won't get anything to pick until the second year(let first year grow out -then mow down when it starts getting yellow in fall) and then second year pick(cut) sparingly, the third year you can go at it. Its an investment

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've had them planted for 5 yrs. and still gidnt get any to eat. I planted 4 plants, and i only get a stalk every year. My neighbor has tons of them and he tried treating my soil the same as his but still none. I think im going to dig them out and try another kind. Gotta try something, we love them.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys i think 20 will be okay its mostly just me and the wife. I'm getting second years so hopefully i won't have to wait more than a year or two. that would drive me crazey

·
Registered
297 Posts
Dig it real deep -I mean 2-2 1/2 ft.(and about 2ft wide)If soil is rocky/clay get rid of it.put in good soil on very bottom put about 6-8 or more inches of well rotted manure.then about 8-10 in. good soil then spread coms (roots out ) cover with enough soil to cover roots( about 6-8 in. fill in rest as it grows.needs full sun and won't tolerate soggy wet conditions.might need to put leaves/straw over in late fall You should be good for next 20 years

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we got kinda clay soil so will maybe raise it up some in a bed or something. thanks for the tips guys

looking forward to working the soil again

·
Registered
297 Posts
BTW, Taterdavid,Is that Mr. Rogers in the pic? I heard that he was special forces and had a few confirmed kills- someone said he wore the sweaters to hide the tats on his arms--I don't know how true It is (haven't taken the time to check) but thought it was interesting.My kids grew up on 'Mr. Rogers'

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It may take more time than a few years. I know older plants are suppossed to produce in 2 years but it took ours 4 or 5. It does good now but I would like to plant some more. Once you get a good bed going they really do good. Guess my spot is less than ideal.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Borden811 said:
It depends on how much you like it, and how many people are eating it. Our family of four can eat it 3 or 4 times a week, and we can keep 30-40 plants eaten down pretty well. It does grow pretty quickly on those warm late spring nights after a decent rain though.
Same here. I have 30 plants around 15 years old. You shouldn't pick anything that isn't thicker than a pencil no matter how old the plants are. I let the dead stalks in the garden over winter. They blow full of leaves in the fall & protects the plants roots through winter. Then clean off in Febuary & give a good layer of compost or manure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts