The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man I am overrun with them. Everything I read says to hand pick them but the problem is I never ever see them. I look during the morning, day, and even at night a few time yet every day I go out to pick and every dang stalk has chew marks on them and beetle eggs all over the flowers. It's fairly obvious there are a lot of them there. I'd really rather not spray but the few that have went to fern have been destroyed immediately by the beatles. Has anyone ever had to deal with these little buggers? Any advice?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
yep. Once I figured them out, and the horse manure/wood chip mixture...my patch went crazy. I used to strip the "ferns" by hand by grabbing bottom of plant and running plant thru my clenched fist... works kinda for a few plants. I then shook the plant wildly and they came off...both work somewhat. I went to using Sevin spray last year and it worked the best...I would not put it on til your done picking though....

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh. That's too bad. I am done picking now because I can't beat them. I've now fownd them in the evening at duska and today in this warmth they are everywhere. I just went out and picked over 150 off of 25 plants and by the time I was done they had equally coated the plants I'd already picked. Total infestation and I dont think I have an option but to resort to the chemical route which disgusts me in my garden. It seems to be that or just let it all die.

Do you think the Seven spray is the best option of powder?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
We get them around here but not until the asparagus is done being picked. You see the little eggs then after a while the beetles. What I do is spray mine with insecticide when I see the eggs and keep an eye on it to spray it whenever needed. Not a big expense. A little spray mix goes a long way. It doesn't hurt anything cause we are done eating them for the year. Maybe you ought to spray them and not eat them at least it won't set them back for next year and maybe won't be any beetles then. Asparagus stores the nutrients in it's roots to start growing next season so if you don't have any "green" on your plants you really don't have much hope of a decent crop next year. I would just spray them and don't eat them leave them grow to seed so they can store up their nutrients for next year and hopefully the beetles won't be there. Really didn't know they ever came on that early. When they hit ours it is well after we are done cuttng for the year. Maybe some other kind of beetle we have here. Not sure what I use. Ortho or something. Permethin works also and is easy to find. Maybe the Ortho is permethin? Lots of people swear by Seven but I like the spray. You can spray the whole plant even when they get big and bush out you can mist the whole plant. Maybe Seven on the ground will kill whatever eggs may be in the dirt. Don't know how but them things eat all the green off the aspargus if you don't spray it. Last year I didn't have to spray mine at all. Must not be something that happens all the time but I always watch my aspargus patch good. My wife loves it and so do I. Just made her supper on the grill for mothers day. Grilled asparagus was on the menu and every spear got devoured.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Just showed up at my place..kids and I picking em off til we r done pickin spears, which may be soon... I been leaving smaller than pencil spears grow and they are nailing the ferns. I used spray last year...not sure about powder. Try some rotonone maybe, its kinda organic I think.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Rotenone is organic, made from a plant root. Don't use it close to water, it is murder on fish. There is a link between Rotenone and Parkinsons disease. I no longer use it.

·
20,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! It's spray city in the back yard tomorrow. As much as I dont want to and it sickens me to do there is no other way. I was just down there picking beetle grubs. I picked about 100 and didn't even make a dent. I picked them off of about 2 plants and have 28 left. They are literally everywhere. There's no hope for them. I'm stopping for some sevin spray tomorrow. Booooo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts