The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have suggestions on how to go about asking for permission to hunt a property that has a long private driveway to the house with "no trespassing" signs etc. I was thinking about sending a letter ahead of time telling them I would be stopping by but I was wondering if anybody had any additional suggestions?? I considered walking in the driveway to be less intrusive...just looking for suggestions. I know it might be a long shot to try to get permission but I won't know if I dont ask.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you are going to send a letter, don't tell them you are coming to talk to them, ask permission to stop by and talk to them and ask when would be a convenient time to do so.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
John S hit the nail on the head. Entering a "no trespassing" driveway without prior permission is pretty much a lack of respect the moment you pass it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My concern with a letter is that they don't get to meet you. They can say no without ever having to face you, and I always feel my chances are better in a face to face meeting.
I know that doesn't answer the question of how to reach the people.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
John S hit the nail on the head. Entering a "no trespassing" driveway without prior permission is pretty much a lack of respect the moment you pass it.
100% agreement. I could never understand the logic behind driving down a private road or driveway clearly marked NO TRESPASSING.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Let the landowner know that you are sending a letter to respect his privacy and that you would like to meet. If he doesnt respond to you letter, I doubt you had little chance on gaining permission even if you were to meet face too face. My driveway is .6 mile long and heavily posted. Let me tell you nothing irratates my wife more then someone driving back to the house that has no business doing so. Then I have to deal with her... and that makes me mad. So take it from me dont drive back if its posted not too.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If you are going to send a letter perhaps a phrase wuch as I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this in person or in a telephone conversation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
berksbowman said:
Let the landowner know that you are sending a letter to respect his privacy and that you would like to meet. If he doesnt respond to you letter, I doubt you had little chance on gaining permission even if you were to meet face too face. My driveway is .6 mile long and heavily posted. Let me tell you nothing irratates my wife more then someone driving back to the house that has no business doing so. Then I have to deal with her... and that makes me mad. So take it from me dont drive back if its posted not too.
Good insight!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
malcolm31 said:
Anybody have suggestions on how to go about asking for permission to hunt a property that has a long private driveway to the house with "no trespassing" signs etc. I was thinking about sending a letter ahead of time telling them I would be stopping by but I was wondering if anybody had any additional suggestions?? I considered walking in the driveway to be less intrusive...just looking for suggestions. I know it might be a long shot to try to get permission but I won't know if I dont ask.
There might be a long shot of another variety if you walk back there.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Put an ad in the local paper seeking hunting privileges..Drop a letter in their mailbox with your request and contact number.Tell them to call collect.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If its a real prime piece and your willing to put some effort into it here is how I go about it. With public records and todays internet you can find just about everything you need to know about the property owner. Name, address, employment, phone number, etc. Once you gather said info you can step back and assess whether he is in your sphere of influence (to use a realtor term). By sphere of influence I mean do you know anyone that knows him or is a friend of a friend. For instance maybe you know someone that works for the same company as him, then you can broker a meeting whether by chance or arranged through this mutual contact. If you live in a smaller community there is a good chance you know someone that has contact with the landowner.

I am guessing this is a given but when you meet them dress nicely, business casual, and take an aerial photo of the property. Show the photo to the landowner and have them outline the property lines. This will help give them confidence that you are an ethical person. Also, can never hurt to get your permission in writing. Good luck

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
if you send a letter, which is a good idea, give them a phone number. i get letters or notes occasionally, and it's easier to respond with a call than to have to write back.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
"permission to hunt a property that has a long private driveway to the house with "no trespassing" signs"

The signs point to not getting any permission at all. But if you don't ask his way, or not at all, it surely will be a no.

And a "salesman" who never gets no's, never is around to get the yes's.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
if it were me, i would try to catch someone out in their yard working, gettng the mail, ect. and ask them about the owner. it may take a few drive by's, but nice weather is coming and you are bound to catch someone outside. ask at any of the local stores ect. if there are any around the area.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I wouldnt even try. Most folks who live that far back in is for a reason. They like there privacy and value there land. They have them signs for a reason could be wrong though.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The best way is to sit nearby in your car. Wait for them to drive out of the driveway. Follow them at a distance to see where they are driving to. Hopefully it's the grocery store or some public place. Start talking to them at the destination about the weather or something. After a few minutes mention you sure wish you were hunting and ask if they know anybody with property to let you hunt.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Sounds like a good way to have them call the police and tell them they are being watched and followed by a stranger and to have an unpleasant encounter with the police. That will not be conducive to gaining access.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
John S said:
Sounds like a good way to have them call the police and tell them they are being watched and followed by a stranger and to have an unpleasant encounter with the police. That will not be conducive to gaining access.
Not true John. That method will probably get one easy access to a jail cell for stalking.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts