The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

As if I need another hobby....Powderhorns!

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Blue Bird 
#1 · (Edited)
Always had a bit of a powderhorn obsession and thought for a long time that "I can do that!"
Well I finally broke down and started to do just that......I built and finished my basement workshop this spring and acquired pretty much everything i thought needed to build prior to putting a file to the first one. Of course I've been adding some tools and materials along the way which is almost as much fun LOL

I'm up to a whopping 4 completed in the last month or so.......Really enjoy it and learning more with each one.
Trying to talk myself out of going down the road to building rifles too LOL :grin2:

Here are all 4 of my completed horns so far.

First one is a hunting horn for myself (Excuse the ill fitting stopper, I just stole one off one of the other horns for pics before I made one)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
One I made for a buddy up in NY. He started a Chestnut farm a few years ago and I helped him plant a good chunk of his 1200 trees so I added some chestnut references on the bottom with a tree and a leaf cluster. The tree is bracketed on the sides by the sun and moon.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
A folk art style horn....this is actually the first one I made and as a "practice" horn I just worked around a big fat crack that I didnt notice early on. It actually made for a pretty cool look after I was able to fit the plug and seal.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
And one for another hunting buddy of mine....
Has his Scottish family crest, motto, and war cry with his intitials under....a map of the Upper Susquehanna watershed from Fort Augusta up the west branch to a trib leading to our camp.
Also has some deer, turkeys he wanted as well as a ring of 7 pine trees to signify our hunting camp.

Attachments

#7 ·
Lovely and functional; and you have done very nice work here. I have one powder horn that I made about 10 years ago. It looks like it's still attached to the cow (beef - whatever).

BTW, what do you know about where I can get a Shot Snake? Need one for my F&IW era reproduction English fowler.

#13 ·
Wow, beautiful work on those horns.

I've made two horns, one for myself, and one for my son. I made mine very plain, and didn't do any kind of aging to the horn, so they're just shiny polished horns with no embellishments at all. But, they work, and mine gets used every deer season, and when I go to the range. My son's is just a wall hanger....Found out he doesn't like carrying a horn.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.